Access Limit per User or per Application?

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Chris Every

Access Limit per User or per Application?

Post by Chris Every » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:27 pm

I have understood that there is a traffic limit of 2.5 GB per Week for a non paying User.

What I am unsure about ist
  • we can register apps for our account under developers<dot>epo<dot>org *
  • each app does have its' own set of keys
  • technically it would be possible to have quotas per app
So, how is it done? Do all my apps share the same quota?

-------------------------
* I am not allowed to post the correct URL here, it says it looks too spammy ... ? weird.

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Access Limit per User or per Application?

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Well, unfortunately we have a lot of spam in this forum so we have to make some filtering.

Again, please read OPS Manual. it should all be described there.

Kind regards,

OPS support

Chris Every

Post by Chris Every » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:43 pm

For googlers, this has been answered here.

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:24 am

Dear user,

There are no specific limits on access tokens available (within reason).

Each access token is valid for 20mins which equates to about 150MB of data, if the user respects the 1Mbps fair use policy.

The developer should program his software to catch 403 errors and reduce traffic usage accordingly. As a general rule there are 3 types of quota enforced:

Weekly limit of 2.5 Gb - refreshed every 7 days on Monday
Hourly limit enforcing the 1Mbps fair use policy (this equates to about 450MB) - refreshed after an hour
request rate limits to enforce the fair use policy - refreshed after a few minutes

As a general rule, the user should detect that a 403 has been produced by OPS and reduce requests made accordingly.

Hope this helps,

OPS support