Search found 97 matches

by nico.rasters
Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:19 pm
Forum: PATSTAT Product Line
Topic: NACE Rev. 2 Classification of an Applicant
Replies: 4
Views: 3097

Re: NACE Rev. 2 Classification of an Applicant

Find the applicant in a database such as Amadeus or Compustat and derive the NACE code from that database. In case the database does not have a NACE code, it will likely have another kind of code (e.g. SIC or NAICS) after which you will you have to apply a concordance table. The TLS229_APPLN_NACE2 t...
by nico.rasters
Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:53 pm
Topic: Patents with at least one inventor from Brussels
Replies: 3
Views: 3116

Re: Patents with at least one inventor from Brussels

Please have a look at the OECD REGPAT database. Use region code BE10 or BE100 for Brussels.
by nico.rasters
Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:41 pm
Topic: Patstat and R
Replies: 1
Views: 3980

Re: Patstat and R

What operating system are you on? Which tables are you using for your research? What error messages are you getting? Importing PATSTAT into MySQL should be rather easy... There is no official installation script for MySQL, but Gianluca generally posts these on his website http://rawpatentdata.blogsp...
by nico.rasters
Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:33 pm
Topic: How to retrieve applicant's address
Replies: 5
Views: 2931

Re: How to retrieve applicant's address

SELECT tls206_person.person_id, person_address, hrm_l2 FROM tls206_person INNER JOIN tls207_pers_appln ON tls206_person.person_id = tls207_pers_appln.person_id INNER JOIN tls201_appln ON tls207_pers_appln.appln_id = tls201_appln.appln_id WHERE tls207_pers_appln.applt_seq_nr >0 AND tls201_appln.appln...
by nico.rasters
Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:32 pm
Topic: Help with citations
Views: 5962

Re: Help with citations

Learn something new every day. What Geert means is that there are two kinds of citations. Either a publication is cited and this is captured by cited_pat_publn_id, OR an application is cited -didn't know this was possible, hence the confusion- which is captured by cited_appln_id. In the latter case,...
by nico.rasters
Mon May 16, 2016 4:16 pm
Topic: self citation need some help
Replies: 7
Views: 7552

Re: self citation need some help

I don't have PATSTAT Online, but the query seems ok. You are doing a count for the cited families, which is the right way to do it for forward citations. You are also using a COUNT(DISTINCT which takes care of any double count that will occur because you are joining with TLS201. You can leave out th...
by nico.rasters
Fri May 13, 2016 12:18 pm
Topic: Problem with CPC
Replies: 8
Views: 7439

Re: Problem with CPC

When looking at citations to study influencing technologies, keep in mind that there's a difference in citation behaviour per patent office and that the EPO uses search codes to indicate the relevance of a citation. Plus you will have to correct for the source of origin to avoid double count. I don'...
by nico.rasters
Fri May 13, 2016 12:00 pm
Topic: triadic patents -query help
Replies: 7
Views: 6361

Re: triadic patents -query help

Yes, patents in the same family can have slightly different characteristics. You can take the union of all classes, the intersection, or you can select a particular patent as your single source of truth. For example the priority filing. As you are looking at Triadic Patents, there will always be a f...
by nico.rasters
Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:49 pm
Topic: Help with CPC
Replies: 4
Views: 7223

Re: Help with CPC

If you say CPC IN (A,B,C,D,E) AND IPC IN (A) then the IPC IN (A) part will severely cut down the results. AND does not add things. You'll need OR for that. I wouldn't mix IPC and CPC like this anyway. Also note that the coverage may vary, as CPC is the new classification. I think I saw a graph in on...
by nico.rasters
Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:21 pm
Topic: Help with citations
Views: 5962

Re: Help with citations

Based on what I could find in the data catalogue at http://documents.epo.org/projects/babylon/eponet.nsf/0/830D207D355F3AF2C1257AA1002D0CFB/$File/patstat_data_catalog_v_5_06.pdf I think there is no variable for backward citations similar to NB_CITING_DOCDB_FAM. However, you can calculate this yourse...