by mkracker
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:50 am
Forum: PATSTAT Product Line
Topic: PATSTAT Online version 2.3.4
Replies: 2
Views: 1374

Re: PATSTAT Online version 2.3.4

Dear Björn,

Bad timing! The document you are looking for is right now being replaced by an updated version.

Please try again a little later (today).

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Martin
EPO / PATSTAT
by mkracker
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:58 am
Topic: Cpc classification
Replies: 2
Views: 1491

Re: Cpc classification

Hi, CPC classification codes are always used on the group level, like 'Y02E 20/16', so they contain 11 or more characters. Your code sample cpc_class_symbol in ('y02B', 'y02c', 'y02e') is equivalent to cpc_class_symbol = 'y02B' OR cpc_class_symbol = 'y02c' OR cpc_class_symbol = 'y02e' Strings of dif...
by mkracker
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 am
Topic: Searching for help concerning PATSTAT query
Replies: 7
Views: 2649

Re: Searching for help concerning PATSTAT query

Hi, in your second query of our previous post you are mixing ANDs and ORs. You can do that, but you have to be careful on how SQL interprets this (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/language-elements/operator-precedence-transact-sql . Ist much safer to explicitely control the order of ev...
by mkracker
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:59 pm
Topic: Annual Amount of Pat Family Applications by Country of Origi
Views: 2191

Re: Annual Amount of Pat Family Applications by Country of O

Hi deef, Your query looks fine. You are counting all families where first filings have an applicant of a certain country published by one of its publications. There is a slight difference to your earlier query, where you counted families which have family members (i.e. applications) whose most recen...
by mkracker
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi, 1) To find the applicant who has filed the application in the first place: In PATSTAT Biblio applicants (and likewise inventors) are connected in 2 ways to an application: a) Most commonly, you use the latest applicants (as published). You get them by joining applicants with persons, i.e. TLS201...
by mkracker
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi deef, You asked for feedback, so here are my thoughts. To be most useful, I am trying to be picky. DOCDB families (aka simple families) are usually used for counting inventions. All applications of the same DOCDB family can be regarded as equivalent. In contrast the broader INPADOC family (aka ex...
by mkracker
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi, When you do a JOIN, then you get 1 record for each combination of joined tables which fulfil the JOIN conditions (e. g. "ON a.appln_id = pa.appln_id"). As an example: You are joining applications and persons (e. g. applicants) and a specific application has 5 persons associated, you will retriev...
by mkracker
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:01 pm

To include worldwide regional / national filings, just remove " appln_auth = 'EP' " in your query. To also include international filings (= PCT filings at WIPO), remove " appln_kind = 'A' ". To better understand what a query does and to use SQL effectively, I suggest to read the SQL self-study cours...
by mkracker
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:54 am

Hi Constance,

Just add "and granted = 1" to the WHERE clause of your query.
Look up attribute GRANTED in the Data Catalog for more details.

Best regards,
Martin / EPO
by mkracker
Wed May 24, 2017 2:32 pm
Topic: NPL references cited in patent literature
Replies: 4
Views: 1221

Re: NPL references cited in patent literature

Dear Joachim, Thanks for the specific example, which was publication US 7067501 B2. In short: PATSTAT gets its data more or less indirectly from the US office. I have no reason to believe that information gets lost on the way because the 6 NPLs listed by the applicant in the US form "Information Dis...