Search found 93 matches

by mkracker
Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am
Forum: PATSTAT Product Line
Topic: Querying utility models in France
Replies: 2
Views: 564

Re: Querying utility models in France

Dear Carmen, Your approach comes close. Unfortunately it does not work for France, because for FR there is no distinction in the type of application APPLN_KIND between patents and utility models. However, utility models can be identified by the kind of publications that are published. In the “Kind c...
by mkracker
Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:43 am
Topic: Help with SQL query_caunt applications per Country
Replies: 3
Views: 1553

Re: Help with SQL query_caunt applications per Country

I think there are two major issues in what you do: Firstly, your queries do not return applications , but records as defined in your query. In your queries you join the application table with TLS207, which has a record for every person (applicant or inventor) of an application. Consequently, if an a...
by mkracker
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:18 am
Topic: MS SQL Server - Loading script
Replies: 1
Views: 925

Re: MS SQL Server - Loading script

I just want to point out that in the PATSTAT documentation there is a document (also attached here: HintsForDataLoading_v1.3.pdf which contains several links to forum entries or other websites where PATSTAT users kindly made their loading scripts for MySQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL available. Not all mi...
by mkracker
Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 am
Topic: representative document of patent family
Views: 635

Re: representative document of patent family

Hi Björn, No, there is no definition of a "representative publication" in PATSTAT. But you can define your own representative, using your own rules. These rules may be similar to the ones in Espacenet or totally different, whatever best suits your needs. I would do it like this: Add 2 columns to the...
by mkracker
Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 am
Topic: SPCs classified as patents
Views: 477

Re: SPCs classified as patents

The EPO does not receive many SPC publications from other offices, consequently you will find publications in PATSTAT only for some countries. Much more complete SPC data can be found in PATSTAT Legal Status (table TLS221_INPADOC_PRS), so I encourage you to have a look there. As an outlook to the 20...
by mkracker
Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:37 am
Topic: PATSTAT 2016 Autumn - TLS215_CITN_CATEG corrupt data?
Replies: 3
Views: 674

Re: PATSTAT 2016 Autumn - TLS215_CITN_CATEG corrupt data?

Hi, Thank you for reporting these data errors. Your observation confirms the rule that no database is completely correct, not even PATSTAT ;) . In fact, the citations are taken from EPOs REFI and DOCDB databases, which contains data collected from more than 80 patent offices around the world in a va...
by mkracker
Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:57 pm
Topic: PATSTAT autumn 2016 checksums
Views: 484

Re: PATSTAT autumn 2016 checksums

Dear Rachie, The problems with the files delivered on USB memory sticks which affected some users were due to the file system used (NTFS). Consequently we will change the file system to FAT32 for future deliveries. For the download from our Raw Data Platform we already provide a checksum. And as you...
by mkracker
Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:58 pm
Topic: NACE Rev. 2 Classification of an Applicant
Replies: 4
Views: 1106

Re: NACE Rev. 2 Classification of an Applicant

Hi Tim, I am not sure you understood me correctly. I meant this: select sum(weight) as WeightOfNaceCode, -- sum of weights of all applications, by NACE code n.nace2_code from tls206_person p join tls207_pers_appln pa on p.person_id = pa.person_id join tls229_appln_nace2 n on pa.appln_id = n.appln_id...
by mkracker
Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:31 pm
Topic: Count forward citations per year
Replies: 6
Views: 1487

Re: Count forward citations per year

Hi Lola, Instead of running multiple queries you can do it more elegantly by using a subquery like this: select * from tls201_appln where docdb_family_id IN -- subquery, which returns a list of DOCDB_FAMILY_IDs (select docdb_family_id from tls201_appln a join tls207_pers_appln pa on a.appln_id = pa....
by mkracker
Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:10 pm
Topic: NACE Rev. 2 Classification of an Applicant
Replies: 4
Views: 1106

Re: NACE Rev. 2 Classification of an Applicant

Hi Tim, it's not in the data, but it's quite straightforward to compute it yourself: For all applications of an applicant, sum up the weights of each NACE classification. If needed, you may normalize the values by dividing them by the number of applications, so the sum of all NACE weights of an appl...