Search found 97 matches

by nico.rasters
Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:14 pm
Forum: PATSTAT Product Line
Topic: Patent count & forward citations for entire CPC category
Replies: 4
Views: 4130

Re: Patent count & forward citations for entire CPC category

I forgot to answer your question about the coding. I have an older version of PATSTAT so your mileage may vary. Table `TLS215_CITN_CATEG` contains the categories of citations, but only if the CITN_ORIGIN of the citation is "SEA" (citations introduced during search). An example using the pu...
by nico.rasters
Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Chapter 6 of http://www.oecd.org/sti/inno/oecdpatentstatisticsmanual.htm deals with citations. If I understand correctly you are identifying radical inventions through a forward citation patent count? Are you familiar with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_effect#Sociology_of_science? Do you thi...
by nico.rasters
Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:01 pm
Topic: load PATSTAT to Postgresql
Views: 3386

Re: load PATSTAT to Postgresql

Welcome to the board and thank you for sharing!
by nico.rasters
Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Sorry this is not a full answer, and not in a logical order either. When I have more time I will try to answer in full. IPC and CPC codes have a certain format, which is why Y02E 10/72% gives no results. There should be two spaces between Y02E and 10. Or, put differently, there is room for 4 digits ...
by nico.rasters
Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:15 pm
Topic: Question about DATA CATALOG PATSTAT
Replies: 3
Views: 2428

Re: Question about DATA CATALOG PATSTAT

Short answer: The example is wrong. It should be the appln_id. There is no "publn_id" variable. In earlier versions of PATSTAT the appln_id was not constant, and you would need the three fields appln_auth, appln_nr and appln_kind to be able to match applications between versions. In some o...
by nico.rasters
Fri May 22, 2015 2:46 pm
Topic: Unavailability of PATSTAT Online May 26th - June 8th 2015
Views: 2653

Re: Unavailability of PATSTAT Online May 26th - June 8th 201

Just curious. Why the switch from MySQL to MS SQL Server? What are the advantages of MS SQL Server, or what was the problem with MySQL?
by nico.rasters
Sat May 16, 2015 7:13 pm
Topic: Concordance between IPC and SIC or ISIC
Replies: 3
Views: 10429

Re: Concordance between IPC and SIC or ISIC

You'll find something at http://wiki.epfl.ch/patstat/sector There are definitely more tables available. See also http://ftp.zew.de/pub/zew-docs/div/innokonf/5bschmochlavillepatelfrietsch.pdf Personally I think a concordance between IPC and SIC is as nonsensical/useless as a concordance between colou...
by nico.rasters
Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:35 pm
Topic: Inventor Country of Origin
Views: 3424

Re: Inventor Country of Origin

My usual approach (=setting up intermediate tables) will unfortunately not work in PATSTAT Online. Lucky you though, in PATSTAT Online the tls206 table has been enriched with EEE-PPAT and OECD HAN standard names. Take your pick. To narrow down on applicant names, you could use tls207 `applt_seq_nr`>...
by nico.rasters
Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 pm
Topic: Inventor Country of Origin
Views: 3424

Re: Inventor Country of Origin

I'd first try to identify "Microsoft". In tls206 you'll find plenty of Microsofts, also because the inventors put c/o Microsoft in their name. So this is when people look a shortcut in the form of a standardized name. There are several options: tls208, OECD HAN, EEE-PPAT (from KU Leuven) F...
by nico.rasters
Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:45 pm
Topic: PROBLEMS WITH "CREATE VIEW" IN PATSTAT ONLINE
Replies: 2
Views: 2501

Re: PROBLEMS WITH "CREATE VIEW" IN PATSTAT ONLINE

It should be: CREATE VIEW our_sample AS SELECT DISTINCT t1.appln_id, t1.appln_auth, t1.appln_nr, t1.appln_kind FROM tls201_appln t1 INNER JOIN tls209_appln_ipc t2 ON t1.appln_id = t2.appln_id WHERE year(t1.appln_filing_date) = 2005 AND (t1.appln_kind = 'A' OR t1.appln_kind = 'W') AND t2.ipc_class_sy...