Search found 119 matches

by mkracker
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:57 pm
Forum: PATSTAT Product Line
Topic: Annual Amount of Pat Family Applications by Country of Origi
Replies: 7
Views: 3766

Re: Annual Amount of Pat Family Applications by Country of O

Hi deef, You asked for feedback, so here are my thoughts. To be most useful, I am trying to be picky. DOCDB families (aka simple families) are usually used for counting inventions. All applications of the same DOCDB family can be regarded as equivalent. In contrast the broader INPADOC family (aka ex...
by mkracker
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:15 pm
Topic: Searching for help concerning PATSTAT query
Views: 4446

Re: Searching for help concerning PATSTAT query

Hi, When you do a JOIN, then you get 1 record for each combination of joined tables which fulfil the JOIN conditions (e. g. "ON a.appln_id = pa.appln_id"). As an example: You are joining applications and persons (e. g. applicants) and a specific application has 5 persons associated, you wi...
by mkracker
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:01 pm

To include worldwide regional / national filings, just remove " appln_auth = 'EP' " in your query. To also include international filings (= PCT filings at WIPO), remove " appln_kind = 'A' ". To better understand what a query does and to use SQL effectively, I suggest to read the ...
by mkracker
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:54 am

Hi Constance,

Just add "and granted = 1" to the WHERE clause of your query.
Look up attribute GRANTED in the Data Catalog for more details.

Best regards,
Martin / EPO
by mkracker
Wed May 24, 2017 2:32 pm
Topic: NPL references cited in patent literature
Replies: 4
Views: 2857

Re: NPL references cited in patent literature

Dear Joachim, Thanks for the specific example, which was publication US 7067501 B2. In short: PATSTAT gets its data more or less indirectly from the US office. I have no reason to believe that information gets lost on the way because the 6 NPLs listed by the applicant in the US form "Informatio...
by mkracker
Tue May 23, 2017 2:05 pm
Topic: NPL references cited in patent literature
Replies: 4
Views: 2857

Re: NPL references cited in patent literature

Dear Joachim, Actually, your assumption is not correct. NPLs can be cited in any phase of the patent procedure. Just check attribute CITN_ORIGIN in table TLS212_CITATION. select citn_origin, count(*) as freq from tls212_citation where cited_npl_publn_id > 0 group by citn_origin order by freq desc Th...
by mkracker
Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am
Topic: Querying utility models in France
Replies: 2
Views: 1905

Re: Querying utility models in France

Dear Carmen, Your approach comes close. Unfortunately it does not work for France, because for FR there is no distinction in the type of application APPLN_KIND between patents and utility models. However, utility models can be identified by the kind of publications that are published. In the “Kind c...
by mkracker
Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:43 am
Topic: Help with SQL query_caunt applications per Country
Replies: 5
Views: 5810

Re: Help with SQL query_caunt applications per Country

I think there are two major issues in what you do: Firstly, your queries do not return applications , but records as defined in your query. In your queries you join the application table with TLS207, which has a record for every person (applicant or inventor) of an application. Consequently, if an a...
by mkracker
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:18 am
Topic: MS SQL Server - Loading script
Replies: 1
Views: 1924

Re: MS SQL Server - Loading script

I just want to point out that in the PATSTAT documentation there is a document (also attached here: HintsForDataLoading_v1.3.pdf which contains several links to forum entries or other websites where PATSTAT users kindly made their loading scripts for MySQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL available. Not all mi...
by mkracker
Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 am
Topic: representative document of patent family
Replies: 1
Views: 1670

Re: representative document of patent family

Hi Björn, No, there is no definition of a "representative publication" in PATSTAT. But you can define your own representative, using your own rules. These rules may be similar to the ones in Espacenet or totally different, whatever best suits your needs. I would do it like this: Add 2 colu...