Search found 119 matches

by mkracker
Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:51 am
Forum: PATSTAT Product Line
Topic: Two counts for different 'where' statements
Replies: 2
Views: 1732

Re: Two counts for different 'where' statements

It is possible to create 2 totally independent counts in one query, thanks to T-SQLs (which is Microsoft's SQL dialect) ability to have sub queries not only in the WHERE or FROM clause, but also in the SELECT clause. (Just out of curiosity: Why would you like to have both counts in the same query, a...
by mkracker
Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:34 pm
Topic: Dead links, wrong data?
Views: 2884

Re: Dead links, wrong data?

Dear Nico, You really had bad luck. Just 2 days before your post all the web pages of the EPO home page related to patent information has been relaunched, with a different structure and of course different URLs. Consequently, many URLs contained in already published documents became invalid. In the ...
by mkracker
Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:17 pm
Topic: Wrong trend in patent filings?
Replies: 1
Views: 1488

Re: Wrong trend in patent filings?

Hi Seb, The downward trend of German granted applications in your result in the last years is clearly visible, but I still think the data is fine. You must be aware that it takes years (in some cases more years than you would expect) for an application to get granted. So for a young application chan...
by mkracker
Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:34 am
Topic: Amended 2015b tables
Views: 3023

Re: Amended 2015b tables

Hi Rachie, Last week every PATSTAT subscriber should have received an e-mail notification indicating where to find the amended tables. Please contact our PATSTAT help desk (patstat@epo.org) with your contact details to find out why we missed you. Thank you. The updated tables are available till abou...
by mkracker
Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:07 pm
Topic: count patents for german patent office
Views: 2033

Re: count patents for german patent office

Like you already did, it is good practice to check the quality of your data and the plausibility of your result. Basically your query is fine, but you did not consider some particularity of the German patent office. The DPMA also publishes granted EPs in their Bulletin using PUBLN_KIND code D1. Thes...
by mkracker
Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:58 am
Topic: IPC NACE2 Concordance "not with ipc"
Views: 2460

Re: IPC NACE2 Concordance "not with ipc"

Dear Florian, I do not know the table from OECD you mentioned. But I can give some information on the data used in PATSTAT. Table TLS902_IPC_NACE2 contains a mapping / concordance between IPC symbols and NACE2 (= NACE revision2) codes, which is the result of a work of Eurostat in co-operation with K...
by mkracker
Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:44 pm
Topic: Tool for import PATSTAT into MySQL
Views: 2750

Tool for import PATSTAT into MySQL

Many of the PATSTAT Raw Data users work on MySQL. Recently I was in contact with Simone Mainardi ( http://www.simonemainardi.com/ ), who created a handy tool to upload the PATSTAT Raw Data files into MySQL. Simone is happy to share his effort with the community and recently upgraded it to be compati...
by mkracker
Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:20 am
Topic: Time out error - Acceleration of query needed
Replies: 4
Views: 2107

Re: Time out error - Acceleration of query needed

Just my observations and hints: Searching in long texts with wild cards,which you do heavily in your query, is costly in PATSTAT Online. A relational database is not the ideal tool for searching text. In your query there is no need to put a wild card on the left side of the IPC symbol, like ipc_clas...
by mkracker
Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 am
Topic: Non-zero applicant and inventor sequence number
Views: 1759

Re: Non-zero applicant and inventor sequence number

You guessed correctly. If APPLT_SEQ_NR and INVT_SEQ_NR are > 0 in the table TLS207_PERS_APPLN or table TLS227_PERS_PUBLN, then an applicant is also an inventor for that application. As you mentioned, this is quite often the case. As usual, there are several ways to model data. The PATSTAT model was ...
by mkracker
Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:00 am
Topic: Error Message
Replies: 3
Views: 7756

Re: Error Message

Daniel, This is the classical division-by-zero error, because you compute "SUM(1/(nb_applicants*1.00))". It will help if you include in your statement "AND nb_applicants > 0"; then your query will run fine. Still, I do not fully understand the situation. In principle, there exist...