Annex F

alexthurgood

Post by alexthurgood » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:41 pm

pivdstee wrote: So my guess is it's either the Grayscale scheme or the embedded fonts that do the damage...

I can't really guarantee that the ABX produced pdfs are compliant with any other requirements though...
There are also some fine OpenSource PDF writers out there that could probably help you out here too. ESP Ghostscript for Windows is probably the one that spings easiest to my mind. On Unix/Linux, just take your pick. ;-)

Alex

pivdstee

Post by pivdstee » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:04 am

ABX uses Ghostscript. I haven't looked at the license much yet.

BUT I really don't get it: why would the ABXPDF created document be acceptable and the Amyuni not:

Annex F requires:
(a) Adobe Portable Document Format Version 1.4 compatible;
(b) non-compressed text to facilitate searching;
(c) unencrypted text;
(d) no embedded OLE objects;
(e) all fonts must be embedded and licensed for distribution.

but:
(a) both Amyuni and ABX produce v. 1.3
(d) there are MORE embedded objects in the ABX pdf
(e) there are NO embedded fonts in the ABX pdf

yet my amyuni converted pdf generates an error, and the ABX pdf (which seems to be a lot further away from compliancy), does not!

I really don't get it. How is this programmed (Annex F compliance)!?!

Further edit:

I transformed an Amyuni pdf of a specification (indicated as non-annex F compliant) with a freeware PDF version changer to version 1.4. (http://www.nicepdf.com)

The OLF program does not complain anymore...
Pieter Vandersteen

alexthurgood

Post by alexthurgood » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:59 am

pivdstee wrote:
Further edit:

I transformed an Amyuni pdf of a specification (indicated as non-annex F compliant) with a freeware PDF version changer to version 1.4. (http://www.nicepdf.com)

The OLF program does not complain anymore...
Well, it might suggest that Amyuni doesn't produce Adobe PDF spec 1.4 compliant PDFs (and probably not even compliant 1.3 PDFs), which is something I had already noticed anyway, with error messages I had got in the past from Amunyi produced PDFs.

Alex

pivdstee

Post by pivdstee » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:15 am

Well i'm pretty sure Amyuni produces 1.3 and not 1.4

The bizarre thing is that another V 1.3 pdf (by ABX) didn't generate an error...

There's no clear rule on how the check is performed, a version check doesn't seem to be done at all, while also checking of other parameters (embedded objects or fonts) do not seem to follow the Annex F rules! I don't get it...

The advice of filing and waiting for a possible formalities objection is not something I want to do. I want 100% certainty of what I file, on what day, and that does not seem to be guaranteed when such a warning occurs.

It's a liability thing...
Pieter Vandersteen

montene

Re: Annex F compliance

Post by montene » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:28 am

Omega wrote:
alexthurgood wrote:
Omega wrote:
I do not beliebe this PDF 1.4 thing since I assume that PDF 1.3 should be working then but it does not.
There are however differences in each of the specifications. The Amunyani software that was bundled with eOLF used to produce non-compliant PDFs. I was under the impression that this had since been fixed, but it may have reared its head again in the versions being used currently, assuming of course, that the EPO still bundles this software with the application.

Alex
If it is really a Problem from the Converter (which I still do not believe, I guess it is Color-Images) then we have a real Problem:

Amyuni does 1.3, Our Acrobat 1.5. Both do not work and it is not likely that any PDF-Converter will stay on 1.4 for long time, so the requirements by wipo are strange. If you need a fixed format then we have to go back to tiff.

Amyuni itself has multiple Bugs but the EPO-Version is outdated and really
needs to be updated.
Hi,
in order to support the findings of your analysis, I discover that making PDF-files of the papier document with the Xerox Docuccnter copier DC480ST ( scan-to-email pdf) will also not create the yellow lamp for eOLF of PCT . iT IS GREEN LIGHT OVERALL .The settings were the standard settings as If I would copy the document. I chose both resolutions 300 dpi and 600 dpi. The pdf-engine used by Xerox is 1.1 (Acrobat 2.0). The text PDF-file is not machine readable, i. e. not searching possible or only after OCR-processing!

Doing the same with a Digital Sender 9100C from Hewlett Packard will deliver also a green light overall (PDF-engine 1.2 / Acrobat 3.0, setting Black& White, 300 dpi). The file is also not readable or searchable. It need OCR-processing to be searchable or machine readable.

By the way, there are hints in the topic "News on Annex F" that a new release is due by October/ November (possibly after the epoline-conference 2006).

We also are not going to file PCT electronically, if the yellow lamp issue is not solved. This class of user support will lead to kill the project eOLF in our company. PatXML is not an option until now.
regards

Init13

This works if you install CutePDF writer and Converter

Post by Init13 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:23 am

Whe have a lot of errors that telling us this PDF is in unknown pages, wrong format, Annex F etc.

My solution to this makes more work but it works.

If you creates documents with Cute PDF writer it works. If you created the document from a scanner, Adobe or another program you can still write to the Cute PDF writer and save to a new PDF file and then you can file it. Works like a charm..

"In Vino Veritas"

Madu

Re: Annex F

Post by Madu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:48 am

leejane30 wrote:Sin embargo, hay diferencias en cada una de las especificaciones. El software Amunyani que fue incluido con eOLF utilizados para producir archivos PDF no conformes. Yo tenía la impresión de que había sido fijada, pero podría haber levantado la cabeza de nuevo en las versiones se utiliza en la actualidad, asumiendo por supuesto, que la OEP todavía haces este software con la aplicación.

The EPO can only offer support in the 3 official languages; English, French and German. Please write
in these languages, and preferably in English to ensure a response of any kind.

Martin Adu
Installations