API for Number of patents for given date range for given topic

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Akshay

API for Number of patents for given date range for given topic

Post by Akshay » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:24 am

Hi,
For web developers using EPO data, is there a API to get list of all patents for a particular title for given publication date range.

For example:
Provide how many patents are there for a title "blockchain" for year "2019"

Thanks in advance

EPO / OPS Support

Re: API for Number of patents for given date range for given topic

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:15 am

HI,

In OPS you can do such search using the following link
.../rest-services/published-data/search/biblio/?q=ti="blockchain" and pd="2019"

But since number of results is over 2000, which is maximum limit of offered search results per query, you will further have to limit your search by splitting the query, either by adding range for date (from 201901-201906 and then 201907-201912) or any other piece of info you might have.

You need to register to OPS first and get approved OPS account in order to perform such searches, this is why I am cutting the first part of the link away, because the URL would not work, if you just click on it, if you are not registered and logged in

I am not sure if you are OPS user already, but if you are not and since you posted your question under another product that also has an API let me just quickly explain the difference:
- OPS API gives same data as Espacenet, so it has worldwide data biblio collection (including EP A and B publications) loaded
- and EPS API from Publication Server gives EP A and B publications exclusively.

I am sure my colleagues will reply how or if their API functions for such searches soon in the other forum as well.

For more Information about both webservices see: https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... vices.html

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support