Application numbers pre 2002?

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

RolfS

Application numbers pre 2002?

Post by RolfS » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:21 pm

Hello

I hope I've put this in the right - or at least not completely wrong - place.

I have a client that needs a simple list of application numbers for all pre-2002 EP applications. I've found some information about the structure of such application numbers, but not enough to determine an actual list.

Is there a free or low-cost way of getting this information that won't breach any etiquette or guidelines regarding use of EPO online resources?

Many thanks
Rolf

mkracker

Re: Application numbers pre 2002?

Post by mkracker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:56 am

There are several online tools at the EPO where you can retrieve EP applications:
- Espacenet
- European Patent Register
In PISE (Patent Information Services for Experts):
- Global Patent Index
- European Full text Search
- European Patent Bulletin Online
- PATSTAT Online (http://www.epo.org/searching-for-patent ... tstat.html)

All have quite strict limits in retrieving or downloading data (max. 1 500 entries), with the exception of PATSTAT Online (max. 700 000 records). Since you want to retrieve all 1.36 million EP applications which have been filed before 2002, I recommend to use PATSTAT. PATSTAT Online can be tested for free after registering as a trial user on the PATSTAT web page.

The query you probably want to use is:

Code: Select all

select appln_auth, appln_nr, appln_kind, appln_nr_epodoc, appln_nr_original, appln_filing_date 
from tls201_appln
where appln_auth = 'EP'
and appln_filing_year between 1995 and 2001  -- adapt the range to your needs
and appln_kind <> 'W' -- exlude PCT applications where EP was just the receiving office
order by appln_filing_date
This query retrieves the application number in 3 formats. So you may chose the one which fits your needs.

Unless you want to market the data (in which case you need to sign a license agreement), you just have to follow the usual Terms & Conditions and Fair Use Policy.
-------------------------------------------
Martin Kracker / EPO