application with missing CPC code

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

weiecon

application with missing CPC code

Post by weiecon » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Hello!

I am using the PATSTAT data that I purchased in 2022.

I would like to use tls201 and tls224 to identify whether each of the appln_id is a clean innovation.

I noticed that there are about 40% of the appln_id in tls201 that do not show in tls224. Any reason for that?

Thank you!!

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: application with missing CPC code

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:26 pm

Hello weiecon,
CPC codes are in principle only available for those applications where a CPC code was assigned by any of the participating offices, or where there was a simply patent family member that already has a CPC code.
Have a look at this coverage information:
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/ ... STATGlobal
When you select CPC, and look at for example JP patents, you will see that only about 40% has a CPC code.

The process for assigning the Y-tags is different. Applications (such as JP, KR applications) might in fact have CPC Y02-tags without any other CPC classification codes. These Y-tags were assigned using AI on the claims, for those applications where the EPO has received the full text claims (which are then first translated into English).
This has the advantage that using Y02 tags will also cover the patent applications from those office for which there are typically no (further) CPC codes available.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org