appln_filing_date or earlist_appln_date

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

Darwin

appln_filing_date or earlist_appln_date

Post by Darwin » Wed May 06, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi

I am trying to measure an applicant's innovative ability by using the number of successful patents in a specific year.

it is 1)based on the family level(DOCDB_family_id)
2) identify the first time an invention is patented and call it the “original patent”.

(WHERE
granted = 1 /* there exists a publication of the grant */
AND publn_first_grant = 1 /* the first publication of grant of a given application */
AND YEAR(publn_date) NE 9999
AND publn_date>=appln_filing_date /*the publication date should later than applicantion filing date*/
GROUP BY docdb_family_id
HAVING publn_date = MIN(publn_date) /* the earliest date of publn_first_grant in each patent)

what i am confuse is how to date the patent

Should I use the appln_filing_date or the earlist_appln_date of the original patent? I think the earlist_appln_date is closer to the actual date of innovation. Could you please give me some suggestion about this?

Thanks in advance.

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: appln_filing_date or earlist_appln_date

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Thu May 07, 2020 12:39 pm

Hello Darwin,
most researchers will use the erliest priority date of a family as the "closest to when the invention happened".
In PATSTAT we have the attribute "earliest_filing_date" (used in tandem with the earliest_filing_id) , which is however application and not family based. In principle, one can assume that because DocDB families are based on common priorities, the "earliest one" should be the same for all DocdB family members, and this is indeed the case for 99.99 % of all families. So I would agree that the earliest earliest_filing_date is a good proxy to be be used at DocDB family level. Publication dates (of the granted family members ?): I would consider the date itself as irrelevant in this context because those dates can depend very much on the patent granting procedure and the technical complexity of the patent claims. You could however use the fact that at least 1 family member has been granted as a proxy for the "succes of the family". Some researcher use even more strict conditions such as : the family should have a granted family member in the US, EP and JP. This is comparable to the "triadic patent family concept " from the OECD.
https://data.oecd.org/rd/triadic-patent-families.htm
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Thu May 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

But I do not find the proxy for the "succes of the family". (I am using the 2016 Autumn edition) could you please tell me which attribute it is ?

thanks in advance.

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Thu May 07, 2020 4:28 pm

Hello Darwin,
I meant, you can use the fact that 1 application belonging to a family has been granted as a proxy for "success of the family".
There is no such pre-aggregated attribute ready made in PATSTAT; this is something users can do themselves.

Here is a short query that gives for a set of families the earliest application date, the number of family members, and a flag whether or not the family contains an application that was granted.

Code: Select all

SELECT earliest.docdb_family_id, earliest.first first_date ,docdb_family_size
,(case when  earliest.docdb_family_id in (select distinct docdb_family_id from tls201_appln where granted ='Y') then 'YES' END) as granted
FROM (Select docdb_family_id, min(earliest_filing_date) first, docdb_family_size from  tls201_appln group by docdb_family_id,
docdb_family_size) earliest
where year(earliest.first) = 2000
group by  earliest.docdb_family_id, earliest.first ,docdb_family_size
order by earliest.first
For complex analysis on large sets of data; you might have to consider to have a local PATSTAT Global installation.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org