automization of db backup using GBAK.exe

Drechsel@Continental

automization of db backup using GBAK.exe

Post by Drechsel@Continental » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

The server manager currently does provide a manual method only to create db backups.
The manual procedure requires that users have to log off before start of backup.
This administrative overhead I would like to avoid.
The firebird open source software has a tool for command line execution of backups using the tool GBAK.EXE. (is installed with OLF 5.0 software automatically in Firebird program folder).
This tool is perhaps an alternativ to backup in server manager, but I did not yet succeed in setting up the correct syntax to make a backup. I receive always the return message: database unavailable.
Does anyone has experience with the GBAK.exe and can give me hint how to run a backup out of a script file ?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Drechsel@Continental

Re: automization of db backup using GBAK.exe

Post by Drechsel@Continental » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 pm

here is the code which I tried to use for running a db backup from script:

Code: Select all

cd "C:\Program Files\EPO_OLF5\db"
"C:\Program Files\EPO_OLF5\Firebird-1.5.3.4870\bin\gbak.exe" -z eOLFdi C:\OLF-db-backups\2011-02-14.bk
pause

D. Van Haken

Re: automization of db backup using GBAK.exe

Post by D. Van Haken » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:45 pm

The database can not be found because the extension is missing. Furthermore the user and password setting is missing.

Please try
"C:\Program Files\EPO_OLF5\Firebird-1.5.3.4870\bin\gbak.exe" -z -u SYSDBA -pas "masterke" -b eOLFdi.gdb C:\OLF-db-backups\2011-02-14.bk

You should also be aware that in the pending release the Firebird will be of a more up to date version. hence the reference to the Firebird\bin will change.
regards,

Dirk Van Haken
Product Manager Online Filing
EPO