Bad image quality

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Nina

Bad image quality

Post by Nina » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:55 am

Dear OPS Support

We noticed that the quality of the images retrieved, e.g. with the request http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/pu ... il?Range=1 is very bad.
This quality problem is mainly observed with CN documents but also e.g. with US.
Qualiyt of FirstPage images, however, is good.
What are we making wrong?

Thanky you very much for yor help

Kind regards

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Bad image quality

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Dear user,

Thumbnail images really do not look good, I will ask our experts why is that the case. But in the meantime, you might want to use images from the full text:

http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/pu ... ge?Range=6

You can always see on what page drawings starts if you first make this query:
http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/pu ... 4.U/images

As soon as I have more info about bad quality of thumbnails, I will let you know.

Kind regards,
OPS support

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:21 pm

I've just spoke to the colleagues in charge of images and they said that thumbnails are 2 Kbytes documents of drawings designed for fast web/GUI browsing, in the case of CN documents their quality depends on the quality of the original pages so we have no influence on that. We have to load what we get. As mentioned in my first reply for better quality you shoudl use images from the full text and not thumbnails.

Kind regards,

OPS support

bonillaphotography

Post by bonillaphotography » Fri May 16, 2014 5:58 am

I was having the same problem. Is this also true with US that it loads from the original pages?

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon May 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Dear user,

Yes, same applies for US.

Kind regards,

OPS support

Alberto231

Post by Alberto231 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:06 pm

I notice that in some cases the text image quality seems different from Espacenet to OPS access.

An example of this is the patent US4117974.

Other colleagues of mine found other examples.

Do you have some explanation of this effect?

Thank you and best regards

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:00 am

Hi,

If the above thread does not give you an answer then you need to be more specific. Can you tell us what exactly is not the same and in what way? Are you talking about mosaics, first page clippings or full text documents?

Regards,
OPS support