Can this database be accessed by multiple users?

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

yingning615

Can this database be accessed by multiple users?

Post by yingning615 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi, all.
We have a small team working together. Can the data be shared among team members?
Considering this issue, can you give us a recommendation on which version to buy?
Thank you very much.

Geert Boedt

Re: Can this database be accessed by multiple users?

Post by Geert Boedt » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:19 am

@ yingning615
The use of the PATSTAT database is defined through the licence agreement.
If you have purchased the PATSTAT database, then you are allowed to install it on a local server and make the data available to all persons at your institution. (At that specific geographical location.)
Commercial use of the data always requires a signed licence agreement.

With regards to PATSTAT Online: users get 1 user_id and password. You can share the access details, but only 1 person at the time can access the server. A second user trying to log-in at the same time will terminate automatically the other session.

Smaller data sets can be downloaded via PATSTAT Online (as a MS ACCESS database) and can be shared with other users. (Fore example for peer review on a scientific study.)
Attachments
Licensing_of_EPO_databases_agreement_sample_en[1].pdf
(451.52 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
Business Use of Patent Information
EPO Vienna

yingning615

Post by yingning615 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:30 pm

I really appreciate your help, Geert.
I will share this info with my team. They will be happy to know it. :P
We will probably choose the online version.

yingning615

Post by yingning615 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:02 am

@Geert.
Thank you again for your reply, Geert.
I wonder, can you give us more details about the price of this two options?
We also wish to know once we buy the online version, how long can we use it?
I saw update would need extra costs. How about the update issue of the two options?
Thank you very much.

Geert Boedt

Post by Geert Boedt » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:45 pm

@ yingning615

For the prices, I prefer to refer to this webform (they can change):
https://forms.epo.org/service-support/o ... -form.html

The subscription for PATSTAT Online is valid for 1 (calendar) year. Keep in mind that only 1 person can be using PATSTAT Online at the same time. A yearly subscription for PATSTAT Raw Data includes automatically the use of PATSTAT Online for 1 user. So the main questions is what kind of research do you want to do, and how many people are involved. My personal feeling is that unless only 1 person will be doing the data aggregation, it is worth installing PATSTAT on a local server. It gives you the full freedom to work with the data without restrictions. PATSTAT Online is a READ ONLY database, so you can not create your own tables or your own functions. If you want me to give a more balanced answer, maybe you could send me a PM or an e-mail explaining the nature of your research, so that we can give you better advice. (Communicating over the forum is of course also ok if you want to share your ideas with the PATSTAT community.)
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
EPO Vienna

janknoski

Post by janknoski » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi all!

I am also interested in the pricing of the PATSTAT data.

I checked the information by following the above mentioned link and I would like to know whether e.g.prices regarding the PATSTAT Package Data refer to the subscription prices for newest available data only and (if so) how high the price for historical PATSTAT data would be. I am particularly interested in getting access to historical patent data (citations, legal status etc. of patent data from 1980s until now) and I would like to know, how much such an access to the PATSTAT database would cost in total.

Thank you very much for your time and help! :-)

Best,

Jan

Geert Boedt

Post by Geert Boedt » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello Jan,
every new PATSTAT release contains the complete history - the so called "back file"- . With other words, a PATSTAT release is NOT an "update" of and existing data base instance; you will receive a complete new data base that will include the bibliographical data that was added to the DocDB database during the 6 months between releases.
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
EPO Vienna

janknoski

Post by janknoski » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Hello Geert,
thanks a lot for your quick and helpful answer!
Best,
Jan