Coding with Boolean operators for IPC codes

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

annina

Coding with Boolean operators for IPC codes

Post by annina » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:45 am

Hey there,

I am currently doing research for my master thesis and I was hoping you could help me with some coding because I struggle to where I want to get to.
Basically the idea was to look at water-related ICT patents to understand the technological development, patent patterns etc.
Now I already identified from the OECD all IPC codes which are linked to ICT (https://www.oecd.org/sti/inno/40807441.pdf) and I currently investigate how to do this for the water sector (possibilties are NACE2 codes, other ICT codes or similar proposals).
So I will need to do 2 sub-queries saying internally "or" and then link them saying "and" because the relevant patents should have at least one attribute of each group.

Now I saw that with Patstat online, one can do this either with coding like
1. ipc_class_symbol = 'XXX' or ipc_class....
2. ipc_class_symbol in ('XXX', 'YYY',...)
or 3. ipc_class_symbol like 'XXX%' or ipc_class...
Given that I have 64 IPC codes for the ICT part alone, I wanted to enquire what the best format is because the cost can get to high and so I dont get any result.

I also have got some other restrictions such as
where ipr_type = 'PI'
and appln_kind != 'D'
and appln_filing_year < 9999
and I will need to join a few lists (such as 201, 209, 207, 206, 211 etc).

I hope you can give me some advice, which will be very appreciated from my side.
Many thanks
Anna