Confusing interface for "NOT" within advanced search graphical interface

paulkaye

Confusing interface for "NOT" within advanced search graphical interface

Post by paulkaye » Sun May 23, 2021 2:37 pm

Within the advanced search graphical interface, if I run a search that relates to two fields (e.g. applicants and inventors), it's obvious what the AND operator does - it means that any returned hits should have both the given applicant and the given inventor. The graphical interface shows this graphically with lines linking the applicants field and the inventors field to the AND operator above. But if I wish to use the NOT operator, the same graphical interface is no longer intuitive. See screenshot below. To which of the fields does the NOT operator apply? How can I search for applicant A but NOT inventor X? And how can I search for inventor X but NOT applicant A?

Patent Information Marketing

Re: Confusing interface for "NOT" within advanced search graphical interface

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Tue May 25, 2021 10:57 am

Dear user,

It is indeed true that the use of the NOT operator is not so straightforward at first sight in the advanced search. The rule is that the excluded term should always be put at the end of the query. Also, the maximum number of NOT operators per query is 1. For some queries, it might be easier to understand what is excluded from looking at the smart search query formulation, as can be seen in the screenshots below. Any suggestion to improve the use and visualisation of the NOT operator in the advanced search would be very welcome.

Illustration of the rules for the use of the NOT operator:

If you wish to search for applicant A (smith) but NOT inventor X (jones), your search query should be constructed in the following way.
Forum-10716-1b.jpg
Forum-10716-1a.jpg

To search for inventor X (jones) but NOT applicant A (smith), the query should then be constructed in this way.
Forum-10716-2b.jpg
Forum-10716-2a.jpg

When multiple search terms are used, the same principle applies: the term that needs to be excluded must be put at the end of the query builder. If many terms need to be excluded, they must be "grouped" at the end of the query builder with the operator OR or AND, e.g.
Forum-10716-3b.jpg
Forum-10716-3a.jpg

Kind regards,

Andrée
Patent Information Marketing