Count number of patent applications and citations per company

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

tulmer

Count number of patent applications and citations per company

Post by tulmer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Dear PATSTAT community,

I am currently writing a research paper on the influence of different financing methods on the innovation output of listed European companies. The number of patents per company and their citations are my dependent variable. Therefore, I would like to obtain the number of patents (year of application, but only counted if ultimately granted) and the number of forward citations of these patents for a list of around 2000 European companies in the years from 2003 to 2013. In addition to that, I would like to filter companies out, which haven’t had at least one granted patent in that timeframe.

Is it possible to write a query, which would provide me with a list of all listed European companies (or all companies, which are in the EuroStoxx 600 or the STOXX All Europe Total Market), which had at least one granted patent in that time frame and the number of their patent applications in the years 2003-2013? Afterwards I would rule out those companies manually, which aren’t on my list (of companies). Is this possible or would I have to look for the number of applications of every company individually?

If I am informed correctly the best database would be DOCDB, but since I am new to both PATSTAT and SQL every help is highly appreciated.

Best
Thomas

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: Count number of patent applications and citations per company

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Hello Thomas,
the only variable not available in PATSTAT is whether or not a company is in the EuroStoxx 600 or the STOXX All Europe Total Market noted. All the rest should be available.

Here is a sample query that might be useful to get you started; to limit the list, it has only the number of family citations for the granted patents. The way you specified your request would require to create intermediate data tables which can not be done via PATSTAT Online.

Code: Select all

SELECT  psn_name, person_ctry_code, appln_auth+appln_nr,  
appln_filing_date   ,nb_citing_docdb_fam
FROM
tls201_appln a
join tls207_pers_appln b on a.appln_id = b.appln_id
join tls206_person c on b.person_id = c.person_id
join tls801_country on c.person_ctry_code= tls801_country.ctry_code
WHERE
appln_auth = 'EP'
and appln_filing_year between 2003 and 2013
and granted = 'Y'
and eu_member = 'Y'
and applt_seq_nr > 0 and invt_seq_nr = 0
and nb_citing_docdb_fam > 0
and psn_sector = 'company'
ORDER BY psn_name, appln_filing_date
The above query will return about 280.000 applications which is too much for an extraction or download. But if you add further restrictions based on for example the company name, you could reduce the set considerably.
For all explanations of the used attributes, kindly consult the PATSTAT documentation. Especially with regards to the pre-aggregated attribute: nb_citing_docdb_fam; many researchers tend to use a more restrictive approach by excluding self-citations. To do more advanced citation analysis, you would need to have the raw data on a local computer system so that you have access to the citations.

The query gives you a list of all companies in the EU that had at least 1 granted patent filed between 2003 and 2013. You could use this allready to match it to your stock data in order to have an idea on the amount of data.

SELECT distinct  psn_name, person_ctry_code
FROM
tls201_appln a
WHERE
appln_auth = 'EP'
and granted = 'Y'
and eu_member = 'Y'
and psn_sector = 'company'
ORDER BY psn_name
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: Count number of patent applications and citations per company

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Hello Thomas,
here is an extension on the previous query.
It gives you all granted applications filed by 'OSRAM OPTO SEMICONDUCTORS' and the number of forward citations. This figure is family-family based citations, but we do not distinguish between the origin of the citations. (search, applicant, examination, etc...)
Most researchers might fine-tun this to exclude for example the applicant citations, and putting a maximum time frame on when the citations were given. (for example 3 years)
There is a good example in the Getting Started publication on how to do that.

SELECT distinct  psn_name, person_ctry_code, appln_auth, appln_nr, appln_kind, appln_filing_date,  nb_citing_docdb_fam , publn_date as date_of_grant
FROM
tls201_appln a
join tls211_pat_publn on a.appln_id = tls211_pat_publn.appln_id
WHERE
appln_auth = 'EP'
and granted = 'Y'
and eu_member = 'Y'