Count number of patent applications per company

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

Tom.Kat

Count number of patent applications per company

Post by Tom.Kat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:52 am

Dear all,

I am currently writing my research paper on the topic of post-acquisition innovation performance in the pharma sector. (I am also new to both PATSTAT and SQL.)

I have a list of acquirers that have been active in a particular time interval - meaning they completed a certain acquisition during that time period. I would like to count the acquirer's number of patent applications in an interval of 4 years before & 4 years following the year of the acquisition.

Is it possible to design a query so that it includes the count of the individual acquirer's patent applications a) in the interval before the acquisition; and b) in the interval after the acquisition.
Secondly, can the query include multiple acquirers at the same time - so that making a query for each individual acquiror can be avoided?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this question! :D

Thank you!

Geert Boedt

Re: Count number of patent applications per company

Post by Geert Boedt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Hello Tom Kat,
In principle, such query could be made. Maybe you can give a concrete example with a couple of companies so that it becomes more tangible ?
Also what kind of data you would like to have in the output ?
Just a name of the acquirer with the "before and after" number ?
To consider: would you count patent applications or patent families -as such avoiding geographical aspects of the invention- ?
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
Business Use of Patent Information
EPO Vienna

Tom.Kat

Post by Tom.Kat » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi Geert,

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I have a list of cca 260 US acquirers that were active in the period between 2009 and 2010. This includes the names of the acquirers and their respective targets. So, for instance:
2010 – Sanofi Aventis Inc (acquirer) - Schering Plough-Plant (target)
2010 - NeoPharm Inc (acquirer) - Insys Therapeutics Inc (target)
2010 - Cambrex Corp (acquirer) - Zenara Pharma Ltd (target)

Thus, from the first acquisition example, I would like to know the count of Sanofi Aventis’ patent applications and patents granted in the period of 2006-2009, and in the period 2011-2014.

So ideally, the data output should include:
- the acquirers’ (i.e. applicants’) name and its identifier
- the total count (or sum) of the acquirer’s patent applications in the interval before the acquisition period (so that would be 2006-2009)
- the total count of the acquirer’s granted patent applications in the interval before the acquisition interval (2006-2009)
- the total count of the acquirer’s patent applications in the interval after the acquisition period (2011-2014)
- total count of the acquirer’s granted patent applications in the interval after the acquisition period (2011-2014)

With regards to the patent application vs patent family – is it possible to have both counts, separately of course? Testing for the geographical aspect might be an interesting addition to my research…
If that is too complex, however, I would prefer focusing on the patent application count.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Tom

Geert Boedt

Post by Geert Boedt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello Tom,
it will not be so easy to do this in 1 batch for 260 companies due to the fact that PATSTAT contains data from nearly 100 patent offices and multiple "variations" on applicant names for big companies. (Even in the PSN harmonised name attribute.)

My suggestion for a possible approach (there might be better ones...)
First have a look at the variations of the names. If you work across multiple filing authorities, you probably will need to make use of wildcards in the names and even the harmonised names will not group everything in ready-to-use chunks.
If we take the example for Sanofi Aventis Inc (acquirer) - Schering Plough-Plant (target) ,and I assume you want to see "some kind of change or effect", the following query will give you for all name variations the number of patent applications as well as the number of those applications being granted.

Code: Select all

SELECT psn_name, 	
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2006 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2006",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2006 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2006_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2007 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2007",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2007 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2007_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2008 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2008",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2008 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2008_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2009 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2009",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2009 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2009_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2010 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2010",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2010 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2010_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2011 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2011",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2011 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2011_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2012 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2012",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2012 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2012_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2013 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2013",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2013 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2013_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2014 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2014",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2014 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2014_is_granted"
FROM tls201_appln  as ap JOIN tls207_pers_appln ON ap.appln_id = tls207_pers_appln.appln_id
JOIN tls206_person ON tls207_pers_appln.person_id = tls206_person.person_id
WHERE psn_name like 'Sanofi%'  or  psn_name like 'Schering%Plough%'  and appln_filing_year between '2006' and '2014'
GROUP BY  psn_name		-- creates totals per name/country combination
ORDER BY psn_name
That gives you enough detail to see what is happening or what needs to be cleaned or grouped.
Assume you decide that all the names of those applicants are to be considered, and you want to group it now over 2 grouped applicants: ; then you could use the following query.

SELECT persons.company 	,
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2006 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2006",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2006 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2006_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2007 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2007",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2007 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2007_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2008 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2008",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2008 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2008_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2009 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2009",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2009 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2009_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2010 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2010",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2010 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2010_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2011 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2011",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2011 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2011_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2012 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2012",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2012 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2012_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2013 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2013",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2013 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2013_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2014 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2014",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year = 2014 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2014_is_granted"
FROM tls201_appln  as ap JOIN tls207_pers_appln ON ap.appln_id = tls207_pers_appln.appln_id
JOIN (select  (case when psn_name like 'Sanofi%'   then 'Sanofi'
							 when psn_name like 'Schering%Plough%' then 'Schering_Plough' end) as "company", person_id from tls206_person WHERE (psn_name like 'Sanofi%'  or  psn_name like 'Schering%Plough%') ) persons ON tls207_pers_appln.person_id = persons.person_id
WHERE appln_filing_year between '2006' and '2014'
GROUP BY  persons.company		-- creates totals per name/country combination
ORDER BY persons.company ;
And the same query, but then grouped per year interval:

COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2006 and 2009 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2006-2009",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2006 and 2009 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2006-2009_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2010 and 2014 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2010-2014",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2010 and 2014 and granted = 1 then ap.appln_id end)) as "2010-2014_is_granted"
							 when psn_name like 'Schering%Plough%' then 'Schering_Plough' end) as "company", person_id from tls206_person WHERE (psn_name like 'Sanofi%'  or  psn_name like 'Schering%Plough%') ) persons ON tls207_pers_appln.person_id = persons.person_id
GROUP BY  persons.company		-- creates totals per name
And the same approach but counting patent families instead of applications; this will reduce the numbers because applications filed for the same invention, but in different countries will be considered as 1 count:

COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2006 and 2009 then ap.docdb_family_id end)) as "2006-2009",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2006 and 2009 and granted = 1 then ap.docdb_family_id end)) as "2006-2009_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2010 and 2014 then ap.docdb_family_id end)) as "2010-2014",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2010 and 2014 and granted = 1 then ap.docdb_family_id end)) as "2010-2014_is_granted"
For Zenera --> no patents ?

COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2006 and 2009 then ap.docdb_family_id end)) as "2006-2009",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2006 and 2009 and granted = 1 then ap.docdb_family_id end)) as "2006-2009_is_granted",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2010 and 2014 then ap.docdb_family_id end)) as "2010-2014",
COUNT(distinct(case when appln_filing_year between 2010 and 2014 and granted = 1 then ap.docdb_family_id end)) as "2010-2014_is_granted"
JOIN (select  (case when psn_name like 'Cambrex%'   then 'Cambrex'
							 when psn_name like 'Zenara%'then 'Zenara' end) as "company", person_id from tls206_person WHERE (psn_name like 'Cambrex%'  or  psn_name like 'Zenara%') ) persons ON tls207_pers_appln.person_id = persons.person_id
For NeoPharm Inc (acquirer) - Insys Therapeutics Inc (target) (+ Insys Pharma ?)

JOIN (select  (case when psn_name like 'NeoPharm%'   then 'NeoPharm'
							 when psn_name like 'Insys Therapeutics%'then 'Insys'
							 when psn_name like 'Insys Pharma%' then 'Insys' end) as "company", person_id from tls206_person 
							 WHERE (psn_name like 'NeoPharm%'  or  psn_name like 'Insys Pharma%' or psn_name like 'Insys Therapeutics%') ) persons ON tls207_pers_appln.person_id = persons.person_id
As you can see from the above, it will be rather difficult to do this in 1 batch for 260 companies, unless you first do some cleaning & grouping in the names. In PATSTAT Online, this will be impossible. If you have PATSTAT installed on a local server, then I would create intermediate tables with cleaned & grouped applicant names.
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
EPO Vienna

Der.Neut

Post by Der.Neut » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Dear All,

I am as well currently writing a research paper on a related topic, and have been following this thread for a while. However, I cannot seem to figure it out by myself. My research topic is post CVC-investment innovation performance of the investee in the pharma sector.

I indeed have my list of CVC deals with lists of both Investors and Investees. I would like to fetch a number of things:
1. The average number of patents CVC investor has been granted per year in the 5 years prior to the deal.
2. A count of patents granted to the CVC investee in the 5 years prior to the date of the deal and after until most recent data (2017). (Would it maybe be easier to just get the total count of patents and filter out the dates later using pivot tables for example?)
3. Referring to No 2, the count of forward citations of those patents (family citations are fine).
4. Referring to No 2, if possible, the year in which each patent has been granted.
5. Referring to No 1 & 2, in that same table the patent class.

An approach I tried was the following:

SELECT DISTINCT *
FROM tls201_appln a
JOIN tls207_pers_appln pa on a.appln_id = pa.appln_id
JOIN tls206_person p on pa.person_id = p.person_id
WHERE appln_auth = 'US'
AND a.appln_id < 900000000 
AND appln_filing_year >= 1990
AND appln_filing_year <= 2017
AND applt_seq_nr > 0 
AND psn_name IN ('Signal Pharmaceuticals') -- Insert list of company names here
AND psn_sector like 'company'
ORDER BY psn_name
I would then get all the patents of the investors and investees. Download it to Excel and match it to the Dataset regarding the CVC deals. Based on the Deal dataset, when the deal took place, filter out any patents that fall outside of the desired time frame. But then i still don't have the patent class, and I'm not sure if that is the most efficient way to go about it.

If someone could help me out it would be much appreciated! :)

Regards,

Derek

Tom.Kat

Post by Tom.Kat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Hello Geert,

Thank you very much for your help and advice!

Kind regards,
Tom

Geert Boedt

Post by Geert Boedt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 am

Hello Derek,
On 1.
Granted applications can easily be identified via the attribute "granted" in the tls201 table.
If your analysis is based on the year in which a patent was granted (5 year before the deal) then you should use the attribute "PUBLN_FIRST_GRANT" in the TLS211_PAT_PUBLN table. Researchers should keep in mind that the date of grant I very much procedure dependant. By "procedure dependant", one should mainly consider the complexity of the invention (examiners need more time) as well as the filing strategy from the applicant. Maybe the filing date (or first priority date) is a better option ?
In your example of 'Signal Pharmaceuticals' acquired by 'Celgene Corp' in 08/2000.
I first check the variations of the applicant names for the most optimal selection of name criteria.

select * from tls206_person
where psn_name like 'celgene corp%';

select * from tls206_person
where psn_name like 'Signal Pharmaceuticals%';
The above queries confirm that I can use those criteria to cover patents by the respective companies.
Patents granted between between '1995-08-01' and '2000-08-01'

select publn_auth+publn_nr+publn_kind, publn_date, psn_name, publn_first_grant, psn_name
from tls206_person
join tls207_pers_appln on tls206_person.person_id = tls207_pers_appln.person_id
join tls211_pat_publn on tls207_pers_appln.appln_id = tls211_pat_publn.appln_id
where psn_name like 'celgene corp%' and publn_first_grant = 1 and publn_date between '1995-08-01' and '2000-08-01'
order by publn_date
The results of this query confirm the argument that it might be better to count patent families instead of patent applications. Most (all?) of the European patents are national phases of granted EP applications.

On 2.

select publn_auth+publn_nr+publn_kind, publn_date, psn_name, publn_first_grant, psn_name
from tls206_person
where psn_name like 'Signal Pharmaceuticals%'
 and publn_first_grant = 1 and publn_date >= '1995-08-01'
order by publn_date
If you want a count per year of grant:

select year( publn_date) grant_year, count(distinct(tls211_pat_publn.appln_id))
from tls206_person
 and publn_first_grant = 1 and publn_date > '1995-08-01'
group by  year( publn_date) 
order by  year( publn_date)
On 3.
The forward citations are pre-calculated and available via the attribute NB_CITING_DOCDB_FAM in the tls201 table. So we add the tls201 table and the attribute. I also added the DOCDB_FAM_ID which again illustrated the multiple occurrences of applications belonging to the same family (and all having the same number o forward citations !).

select publn_auth+publn_nr+publn_kind, docdb_family_id ,publn_date, psn_name, publn_first_grant, psn_name, nb_citing_docdb_fam
from tls206_person
join tls201_appln on tls201_appln.appln_id = tls207_pers_appln.appln_id
order by docdb_family_id, publn_date
On 4. --> done in 3.
On 5. This is more complicated from a research point of view. Each application can (and mostly has) multiple IPC (or CPC) classification codes. PATSTAT does not have a concept of "main classification", so you will need to make some business (research) decisions on what criteria to use in order to assign 1 classification to an application. An alternative is to consider all classifications and apply weighing. This could be a good approach if you analyse technology flows at a more granular level. Another method is to apply weighing at subclass level (4 digits). It completely depends on your research question.
Some input from other researchers on proven methods to "identify" a "main classification symbol" ?

select publn_auth+publn_nr+publn_kind, docdb_family_id ,publn_date, psn_name, publn_first_grant, psn_name, nb_citing_docdb_fam, ipc_class_symbol
from tls206_person
join tls209_appln_ipc on tls201_appln.appln_id = tls209_appln_ipc.appln_id
order by docdb_family_id, publn_date, ipc_class_symbol
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
EPO Vienna

Tom.Kat

Post by Tom.Kat » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Dear Geert,

Would it be possible to design a query that counts the number of patent citations for granted patents (or granted patent families) in a particular time interval for individual companies?

For instance: Neogen Corporation has 9 patent families granted in the interval between 2011 and 2014. What would then be the total count of forward citations for this group of granted patent families?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Tom

Geert Boedt

Post by Geert Boedt » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello Tom,
the list of the patents with their respective forward citations is a variation on the above query:

select publn_auth+publn_nr+publn_kind, docdb_family_id ,publn_date, psn_name, publn_first_grant, psn_name, nb_citing_docdb_fam
from tls206_person
where psn_name like 'NEOGEN CORPORATION%'
 and publn_first_grant = 1 and year(publn_date)  between 2011 and 2014. 
order by docdb_family_id, publn_date
You can now adapt this query to give you the total count per family with a total sum as last row:

Select 
[docdb_family_id] = COALESCE([docdb_family_id], ''), 
  [nb_citing_docdb_fam] = SUM([nb_citing_docdb_fam])
from
(SELECT docdb_family_id, nb_citing_docdb_fam
FROM tls206_person
where psn_name like 'NEOGEN CORPORATION%'
 and publn_first_grant = 1 and year(publn_date)  between 2011 and 2014 
 group by docdb_family_id, nb_citing_docdb_fam) as intermediate
 GROUP BY GROUPING SETS(([docdb_family_id]),());
Ideal would be to extract the date set (in PASTAT Online as a MS ACCESS data base), and then create intermediate tables which can then further be visualised and put into graphs with other tools. (Instead of squeezing everything in subs queries in order to make it run on PATSTAT Online.)
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
EPO Vienna

Tom.Kat

Post by Tom.Kat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:23 am

Hello Geert,

Thank you for your reply.
There is an error in the 2nd query you suggested and I cannot work it out.

Could you please have a look at it again?
Thak you!

Kind regards,
Tom