Count number of patent applications per company

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

Geert Boedt

Re: Count number of patent applications per company

Post by Geert Boedt » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 am

It seems that the SQL parser has a problem with this code, but it is correct (at least it runs in MSSQL).
I suggest to export the results and make the totals in excel. That will be much easier then trying to find a solution for the final total row.

Code: Select all

SELECT docdb_family_id, nb_citing_docdb_fam
FROM tls206_person
join tls207_pers_appln on tls206_person.person_id = tls207_pers_appln.person_id
join tls211_pat_publn on tls207_pers_appln.appln_id = tls211_pat_publn.appln_id
join tls201_appln on tls201_appln.appln_id = tls207_pers_appln.appln_id
where psn_name like 'NEOGEN CORPORATION%'
 and publn_first_grant = 1 and (year(publn_date)  between 2011 and 2014) 
 group by docdb_family_id, nb_citing_docdb_fam
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
Business Use of Patent Information
EPO Vienna

chrisparfitt

Re: Count number of patent applications per company

Post by chrisparfitt » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi guys,

I realise that this is a bit of an old topic, but I will give try post my query here.

I am in need of similar data. For my master thesis, I want to research how the knowledge overlap of the acquiring and target firm affects post-deal innovative performance of the acquiring firm. When considering knowledge, I will consider both quantity and quality. Quantity will be the number of patents shared between the firms with the same patent code, where quality will be the number of forward citations.

I thus need firm-level patent data for the sample of around 200 firms, including their classification and number of forward citations. I would to use USPTO data, but EPO data would probably be fine too (I realise this is an EPO forum)

Any tips on how to proceed? OP, did you get anywhere, or could you share some light into what you did?

I should note that I don't have access to PATSTAT, so any online datasets/data retrieval methods would be appreciated!