Counting domestic patents applied internationally

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

klsienwe

Re: Counting domestic patents applied internationally

Post by klsienwe » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 am

EPO / PATSTAT Support wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:59 am
Ucindami Mafeni wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:32 am
Hi again,

I am still yet to hear a response regarding how I can identify regional applications (i.e. situations in which appln_auth = EP, for example) enforced nationally (i.e. which EP countries the application is designated to) in the years prior to 1980 (i.e. before PGFP was used). How can I do this? Thus far, I have not used PGFP for fear of losing observations.
The first European patents were granted in 1980, so no national renewal fee records are available before that date. Run this query to see the first granted EP applications:

Code: Select all

SELECT TOP (10) pat_publn_id
      ,publn_auth+publn_nr+publn_kind as number
      ,publn_date, publn_first_grant
FROM tls211_pat_publn
WHERE publn_auth = 'EP' and publn_first_grant = 'Y' 
ORDER BY publn_date asc
Pretty cool and awesome.

martinsaw01

Post by martinsaw01 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:34 pm

I am still yet to hear a response regarding how I can identify regional applications (i.e. situations in which appln_auth = EP, for example) enforced nationally (i.e. which EP countries the application is designated to) in the years prior to 1980 (i.e. before PGFP was used). How can I do this? Thus far, I have not used PGFP for fear of losing observations.
video streaming
Last edited by martinsaw01 on Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:38 pm

The PGFP codes are the easiest proxy to identify whether or not a granted European Patent entered the national phase. (Legally it is a bit more complicated, but PGFP does the job for nearly all different cases.)
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org