Data retrieval of patent references possible?

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

EngineeringIntern

Data retrieval of patent references possible?

Post by EngineeringIntern » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello,
I am new to patent research and I could use some help. I am researching about a half a dozen patents, and I need help creating a code to find the patents that each of them reference. I need the publication date, filing date, and priority date of each patent that is referenced from the original patent. I would then like to search for each of the resulting patents using the same method and record the third tier of patents that are referenced. Also, what would be the best method to extract the data and put it in Microsoft Excel? Is all of this possible using this service? If not, is there a way to complete my research using a more effective method than just searching through each patent individually? Thank you for your help.

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Data retrieval of patent references possible?

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:13 am

Dear user,

I believe that for your project the best option is to use our Patstat. Please read all availabe documentation to make sure that this would be the product you need and register for free trail here: http://www.epo.org/searching/subscripti ... nline.html.

OPS could also be used but I believe there would be to much programing involved.

Kind regards,

OPS support