"Dead or Alive" identification of patents

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

smartrah

"Dead or Alive" identification of patents

Post by smartrah » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Hello PATSTAT users,

I would like to ask what is the preferred way to identify whether a patent is dead or alive (in general)?

I am using the value "PAYMNT" in column "lecg_name" of tls803. If the PAYMNT event is "recent". Then I am assuming the patent is currently active.

But, now it appears that PAYMNT value is not consistent across jurisdictions. For Chinese legal status events, I do not find any PAYMNT legal event. For example this code does not show any Chinese PAYMNT events:

Code: Select all

SELECT lecg_name, lecg_descr, COUNT(distinct event_code) as num 
FROM patstat2018a.tls803_legal_event_code
WHERE event_auth = 'CN'
GROUP BY lecg_name, lecg_descr
ORDER BY num DESC
Would appreciate if someone points me as to how worldwide legal status can be grouped into "Dead" or "Alive".

Thanks!

Rahul Kapoor

smartrah

Re: "Dead or Alive" identification of patents

Post by smartrah » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:33 am

I have something to add to my post, especially wrt Chinese legal status codes on fee payments.

On this website - http://www.stn-international.com/stn_ne ... news]=2044 I saw the following codes for fee payments:

PAYMENT OF ANNUAL FEE

CNCI01 CORRECTION OF INVENTION PATENT GAZETTE
CNCI02 CORRECTION OF INVENTION PATENT APPLICATION
CNCI03 CORRECTION OF INVENTION PATENT
CNCP01 CHANGE IN THE NAME OR TITLE OF A PATENT

Clearly these do not literally appear to be related to fee payments and PATSTAT marks them as "CORREC" or "CHGOWN". SQL code below:

Code: Select all

SELECT distinct event_code, event_descr, lecg_name FROM patstat2018a.tls803_legal_event_code
WHERE event_auth = 'CN'
AND event_code IN ('CI01', 'CI02', 'CI03', 'CP01')
Can anyone comment if it might be safe to use these codes for fee payments?