Difference between 404-SERVER.EntityNotFound and 500-SERVER.DomainAccess

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

AutoDocs

Difference between 404-SERVER.EntityNotFound and 500-SERVER.DomainAccess

Post by AutoDocs » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Hello,

This is related to my previous post, but focusing on handling the responses coming back instead of looking for the information ahead of time. I've already added stuff to look for the 404 response, but not yet the 500 response. I've received both of them for essentially the same thing where there's a page missing in an original document. Should they be treated as equivalent? Right now, if I get a 404, I note it as not available and create my own "page not available" page in the resultant PDF, but the 500 will be reported as an error and the download will abort. Can I treat the 500 the same as the 404, or does the 500 indicate a problem that's temporary?

Thanks for any information.

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Difference between 404-SERVER.EntityNotFound and 500-SERVER.DomainAccess

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 am

HI,

I would not do that. Error 500 usually happens when you lose connection to OPS (request not processed, try again)
404 errors appear when you are connected but you either have:
- one reference in request wrong
- a format in request wrong
- document or data could not be found
- resource not found

But I would imagine that is important for you to know that the request is erroneous as oppose to data does not exist at all? In that case, an error code should be of use, I guess, not only HTTP code.

See page 29 in OPS user manual for details

Regards,
Vesna

AutoDocs

Post by AutoDocs » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I would've thought that too, but there have been several cases where the server.domainaccess would come up for a single page like the entitynotfound, and it would happen only for that single page in the document, and it persists for retries spaced minutes, hours, or days apart.

Using JP2001331132A as an example, page 6 returned 500 - SERVER.DomainAccess on the first of the month (which was the last time I tried before today), several times before that in the past, and today as well.

Looking at the document on espacenet, page 6 returns the same "Original document is not available for JP2001331132 (A)" message as the 404 - entitynotfound, and like the documents that had the 404, attempting to download the entire document from espacenet also results in just the single "not available" pdf as a result.

Because the main espacenet page returns the same thing for when i get a 404 and a 500 through OPS, I'm not really sure how I can handle this any better; especially considering the results are the same for page 6 on JP2001331132A spread across several days.

I'm definitely open for suggestions for better ways to handle this, or ideally if there is something that says "don't expect these pages" in initial queries, but short of treating them the same as it appears espacenet does, I'm not sure what I can do better.

It's a confusing thing indeed, and thanks for any information you can provide.

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 am

Hi,

There seems to be something wrong with the way this document is loaded into our new database. I will ask them to reload it again.
The only thing I can offer right now is old BNS version of OPS where this document is properly loaded: http://ops.epo.org/end-of-life/rest-ser ... ge?Range=6

I will escalate that with the team in charge

Regards,
Vesna for OPS