difference between CITED_PAT_PUBLN_ID and CITED_APPLN_ID

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

Darwin

difference between CITED_PAT_PUBLN_ID and CITED_APPLN_ID

Post by Darwin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Hello,

What is the difference between CITED_PAT_PUBLN_ID and CITED_APPLN_ID when I want to compute the generality and originality index of a patent ? I suppose I only need to use CITED_APPLN_ID, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: difference between CITED_PAT_PUBLN_ID and CITED_APPLN_ID

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:01 pm

Citations can refer to an application, but mostly (99.5%) they refer to publications.
So the cited_appln_id is not an alternative key to get to cited patent publication in the same record.
It is simply another citation.
For info: most of the references to applications originate from the applicants as examiners and patent officers will normally always refer to the publication numbers and not the application number.
Many researchers will only use the citations that originate from the search or examination steps and therefore skip the citations provided by the applicant altogether.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

Darwin

Re: difference between CITED_PAT_PUBLN_ID and CITED_APPLN_ID

Post by Darwin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:56 am

thanks Vienna