Difference between Espacenet and published-data/search/ ?

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

amir

Post by amir » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Dear Support,

I'm trying to find patents invented by mr Arnaud Callais through ops published-data endpoint.
When i do this following request http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/pu ... ange=1-100, i have only 7 results but when i use Espacenet -- advanced search section and write Arnaud Callais in inventor search field i have more than 7 results (38 patents).Is there anothor way (endpoints, constituents combinaisons..) to call ops.epo.org that allow having the same result returned by Espacenet ?

Please, let me know if you read my this message and have a solution to this.

--
Best Regards,
Amir

EPO / Innovation Networks

Post by EPO / Innovation Networks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi Amir,

If you enter Arnaud and Callais in the applicant or inventor field in Espacenet, the system will retrieve all documents containing the name Arnaud and the name Callais but not necessarily Arnaud Callais as a persons first and second name. To make sure you only retrieve documents for a specific name, you should enter the name(s) as follows:

"Arnaud Callais" or "Callais Arnaud", use both forms if you are not sure how the inventor/applicant names was filed.

We hope this helps!
Kind regards,

The Innovation Networks Team

amir

Re: Difference between Espacenet and published-data/search/

Post by amir » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:49 am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. If i do http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/pu ... ange=1-100 (152 results) i have so much more than what i want to have "30 patents found in espacenet - explained above".

--
Amir

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Difference between Espacenet and published-data/search/

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi,

You don't get 30 (38 actually) patents, you get 38 results and in most of the 38 results there are two publications combined in that one result (A and B publication step). Furthermore, Espacenet will always offer one search result per simple family whereas OPS has no such business rules integrated and will therefore give you all documents that fit the query, no matter is they are equivalent filings or even same patent application’s laid open or granted publication.

This is a feature of Espacenet, we call it a "de-duplication" and is actually there to make it easier for users to find their relevant inventions without having to read xx documents that actually all describe one and the same invention.

It is really up to a user to know what they expect from their search result. If you need all documents then you will have to use OPS (when you need all results) or subscribe to our GPI database where you have an option to reduce results to get one per family (like in Espacenet) or all display all results (like in OPS).

I hope this helps,
OPS support

sainivedant41

Re: Difference between Espacenet and published-data/search/ ?

Post by sainivedant41 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks for the clarification.