Discontinuation of encryption protocols TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 temporarily postponed

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

EPO / OPS Support

Discontinuation of encryption protocols TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 temporarily postponed

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Dear all,

Due to an increasing number of users who have contacted us about issues with the new TLS 1.2 protocol implementation we managed to prevent and postpone discontinuation of TLS 1.0 and 1.1 planned for today until the end of July 2018.
We hope that gives to all of you enough time to update your protocols to TLS 1.2 or above and/or to migrate to more up-to-date browsers that support TLS 1.2 and above.

Regards,
OPS support

Mike_k43

Re: Discontinuation of encryption protocols TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 temporarily postponed

Post by Mike_k43 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:35 am

I was just wondering: What is the big idea behind encrypting with TLS 1.2 the transfer of data that are freely available to anyone on this world over the internet, and free of charge? I have the impression that the IT staff at EPO did not answer to themselves that question before they started his exercise, which now seems to be a hassle to may users of OPS.

mike_k43

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Discontinuation of encryption protocols TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 temporarily postponed

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:55 am

Hi,

Actually, use of up-to-date encryptions and up-to date browsers was not an idea of anyone at the EPO. This was a necessity that was requested by the external company that is in charge of OPS web service on behalf of the EPO. OPS web service is not anything done in-house and the company that is behind OPS is one of the biggest companies of that kind in the world so I fully trust that they have their own reasons why they want to implement any such changes

Kind regards,
Vesna for OPS support

Mike_k43

Post by Mike_k43 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Hello Vesna,

I understand that this TLS 1.2 upgrade was not on motion of the EPO but required by the external subcontracting company. I however think that EPO, in its capacity as EP-wide authority which is the data provider and the ultimate OPS service provider to the public, should enforce its views, wishes and policies upon that external subcontracting company, not vice-versa.

Kind regards, mike_k43

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 am

Hi,

They do that of course, but it's not always possible, as you can imagine. In this case, we managed to postpone in the last note, but discontinuation will eventually happen

Regards,
Vesna for OPS