divisionals: big PDFs

eightethel

divisionals: big PDFs

Post by eightethel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:39 am

We like to scan the originally-filed specification when filing a divisional. This seems to me to be the only way when dividing from an ex-PCT, where we have no MSWord original.
Some of the specifications are beyond the capability of our scanners in terms of number of pages. Yes, we can get bigger paper feeres, but there will always be a spec that's bigger!
How do others get around this?

twesthues

Re: divisionals: big PDFs

Post by twesthues » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:49 am

:?
Hmmm. Not quite clear what your problem is as I would have thought that your original specification is already available as PDF in file inspection of WIPO or EPO and therefore there is no need to scan in the paper (what paper anyway if you used online filing?).

Perhaps you could explain a bit more about the flow of information you are looking at. I'm sure you're aware that for filing a divisional you do not need to file the whole specification again as since EPC2000 you can refer to the parent for inclusion into the divisional and exclude the original claims but attach a new set of claims only relevant to the divisional. Let me know, if this is not clear.

Regards,
Thorsten
at your service for the EPO Online Services Team!

eightethel

Re: divisionals: big PDFs

Post by eightethel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks, Thorsten
It's not quite as simple as that, since EPC and recent decisions mean we may need to add text to a divisional. For example, we may need to rewrite the claims of the earlier application as part of the description, following a recent EPO decision.
But in fact I think we've found how to do the necessary job, by buying a scanner that allows us to concatenate sets of pages to make up a complete description, regardless of the number in total.