Download all retrieved applications in xml format!

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

hz2019

Download all retrieved applications in xml format!

Post by hz2019 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Greetings!

I'm using patstat online 2020 spring.

I would like to download all the the retrieved applications in xml format,

which means, for example , I've retrieved 4036 applications on patstat online, and I want the title and abstract, so I turn to the function of 'download', choose 'application', tick 'xml' and choose range 'all'.

It warns me that maximum is 1500 applications per time, that's fine, I proceed. But the result only contains 1 result, which is only 1page with 1 KB in size.

Is my process right? How can I download all the applications in 'xml' format?

( I then tried download in 'pdf' format, which can tick 'concatenate' below, then the result is all applications, is it because of the 'concatenate' ? But I want the results in 'xml' and then I can do following process....)

Many thanks!

HZ

mkracker

Re: Download all retrieved applications in xml format!

Post by mkracker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:49 am

Dear HZ,

Thanks you for reporting this bug in the "Download Application" feature. We will fix it in a new version.

In case another download format (CSV, Excel .xlsx, MS Access .accdb) would also work for you, then please note that there are several other download options available ("Download result table", "Download PATSTAT subset"). These also have much higher download limits. In case you have a PATSTAT Online subscription, you may even download up to 700 000 rows of the result of your query.

Best regards,
-------------------------------------------
Martin Kracker / EPO

hz2019

Post by hz2019 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:33 am

mkracker wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:49 am
Dear HZ,

Thanks you for reporting this bug in the "Download Application" feature. We will fix it in a new version.

In case another download format (CSV, Excel .xlsx, MS Access .accdb) would also work for you, then please note that there are several other download options available ("Download result table", "Download PATSTAT subset"). These also have much higher download limits. In case you have a PATSTAT Online subscription, you may even download up to 700 000 rows of the result of your query.

Best regards,
Dear mkcraker,

Thanks for your reply! :-)

because I'm interested in the 'titles' and 'abstacts' ,so the 'result table' and 'PATSTAT subset' may not be suitable in this case,and i have to turn to download 'application'.

I've now choose to download the 'pdf' format for the 'abstracts' and 'titles', the other question is that the limitation for downloadn is 1500 per time.
Now I have 3608 results, how can I download the "3608-1500=2108" remaining results?
(my idea is that may be by retrieving top 30%,next 30%, remaining 40% results each time? but I don't know how to retrieve the next 30% and remaining 40%.....
or some other method?)

Many thanks,

HZ

mkracker

Post by mkracker » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:59 am

Dear HZ,

I do not see why you should not be able to download the abstracts selected by your query with the "Result table" download feature.

Also, for retrieving only certain section of your result ("paging"), have a look at the option the ORDER BY clause of T-SQL provides: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t- ... rver-ver15

Here is an example:

Code: Select all

select a.appln_id, appln_auth, appln_nr, appln_abstract
from tls201_appln a
join tls203_appln_abstr abstr on a.appln_id = abstr.appln_id
ORDER BY a.appln_id
OFFSET 500 ROWS
FETCH NEXT 100 ROWS ONLY
Best regards,
Martin
-------------------------------------------
Martin Kracker / EPO