Download patent image

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

look4answer

Download patent image

Post by look4answer » Mon May 23, 2016 7:29 pm

Dear OPS Support,

I have a question regarding downloading patent images. I could download a patent image page-by-page, but it takes forever to download a huge patent image (e.g. 500+ pages) due to the access limit (up to 10 requests in 1 minute -- 10 pages / minute).

What other services (both free and paid) do you offer for downloading patent images? Could you please guide me to the information? I vaguely remember that there is a page talking about bulk download but cannot find it.

The patent images I am talking about does not limit to EP but rather from all countries including U.S.

Thank you,
Taywin

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Download patent image

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue May 24, 2016 7:37 am

Hi,

For loading full text in image format we can only offer OPS or in case of only EP's you could use European Publication Server, but even there you need to be aware of download limitation.

But as far as I can see you have wrong information as far as OPS limitation goes. The limit is not 10 searches per minute if you are registered user and you download image data. You have to use information in URL-Throttling where the system is regularly updating you with the limitation requirements for all available services (in your case you have to look at "image" request per minute information). You then have to adjust your system according to that.

OPS documentation tells you how to use dynamic fair use monitoring: http://www.epo.org/searching-for-patent ... .html#tab3 and we have FAQ answer on how to optimise downloading of image data:
http://www.epo.org/searching-for-patent ... tml#faq-78

Regards,
OPS support

look4answer

Re: Download patent image

Post by look4answer » Tue May 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Dear OPS Support,

Thank you very much for your answer. I will look into it.

Taywin