EPO patents - information on securities agreements

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

DaHe

EPO patents - information on securities agreements

Post by DaHe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Dear Patstat community,

I am using the Autumn 2017 version of Patstat. Currently, I work on a project regarding the use of IP as collateral for firms' lending activities. Apparently, information on the usage of a patent in a securities agreement are available for patents filed at the USPTO (e.g. "What patents are used as collateral?" Fischer and Ringler 2014). More specifically, the INPADOC database contains USPTO data on reassignments with a security interest. I did not find any information on EPO patents regarding this topic. I am wondering whether this kind of variable - or any related variable - can be obtained using EPO filings? If there is no direct variable, would it be possible to proxy this with other information in Patstat?

I appreciate your help!

Best regards

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: EPO patents - information on securities agreements

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 am

Hello Dahe,
no such indicators are available for European patents and I am not aware about any proxies that could be used to identify such patents.
As far as I know, only the US patent office provides register information on cases where IP is used as security. The GB office has some information in their online register, but by my knowing, that information is not part of the data exchange via INPADOC (tls231) data.

Geert BOEDT
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org