EPO, WIPO And PCT

waka

EPO, WIPO And PCT

Post by waka » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:04 pm

- HI, I got a question: Is it legit to use EPO from a country like the USA, China or even Mexico? What I mean is, can I use only the EPO data, or do I have to go to the patent office of the country I’m looking for?

- Another question is why some countries (countries-publication) at the espacenet search have a few patents been published in the agency in that country? One example is MX when I searched for robots. For countries - publication there are 16 and 6 as an applicants country, or when I did the research for coffee and showed that are 0 occurrences for Brazil (countries - publication) and 53 as an applicants country.I ask this question to know what I'm capturing when using the countries - publication filter. I don't know if you can answer me, but I thank you in advance for the quick answers you send here on the forum

Patent Information Marketing

Re: EPO, WIPO And PCT

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:34 am

Dear user,

To have a 100% certainty on the data from another patent authority than the EPO, we recommend to go to this patent authority.

With regards to your second question,

Query 1 ftxt = "robots" filtered for MX (publication) gave today 64 results. The filters also indicated that 19 publications have MX as applicants' country.

Query 2 ftxt = "coffee" filtered for BR (publication) gave today 3004 results. The filters also indicated that 842 publications have BR as applicants' country.

Note that I used the Smart search field identifier ftxt, which corresponds to the Advanced search criterion All text field, to exclusively search the keywords in the title, abstract, description or claims.

When you open the Countries (publication) and Applicants - country filter categories, the displayed list of filter items indicate the number of records ("publications") which satisfy both the search and filter criteria. Once you apply one of the filter items (e.g. MX), the result list - which is grouped per family - display the number of families, which include these publications.

What could be the reason for numbers of results lower than expected?
  • The worldwide EPO patent databases and, hence, the Espacenet data, are kindly provided to the EPO by national and regional patent authorities. The patent data for certain patent authorities can, however, not always be fully covered (see bibliographic coverage, full-text coverage.)
  • The data on applicants' countries is not always provided by the patent authorities. The coverage is, therefore, not complete and we recommend not to use these data for statistical purposes.
Kind regards,

Andrée

Andrée Lahaye

waka

Post by waka » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:06 pm

:geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
Patent Information Marketing wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:34 am
Dear user,

To have a 100% certainty on the data from another patent authority than the EPO, we recommend to go to this patent authority.

With regards to your second question,

Query 1 ftxt = "robots" filtered for MX (publication) gave today 64 results. The filters also indicated that 19 publications have MX as applicants' country.

Query 2 ftxt = "coffee" filtered for BR (publication) gave today 3004 results. The filters also indicated that 842 publications have BR as applicants' country.

Note that I used the Smart search field identifier ftxt, which corresponds to the Advanced search criterion All text field, to exclusively search the keywords in the title, abstract, description or claims.

When you open the Countries (publication) and Applicants - country filter categories, the displayed list of filter items indicate the number of records ("publications") which satisfy both the search and filter criteria. Once you apply one of the filter items (e.g. MX), the result list - which is grouped per family - display the number of families, which include these publications.

What could be the reason for numbers of results lower than expected?
  • The worldwide EPO patent databases and, hence, the Espacenet data, are kindly provided to the EPO by national and regional patent authorities. The patent data for certain patent authorities can, however, not always be fully covered (see bibliographic coverage, full-text coverage.)
  • The data on applicants' countries is not always provided by the patent authorities. The coverage is, therefore, not complete and we recommend not to use these data for statistical purposes.
Kind regards,

Andrée

Andrée Lahaye
-Thank you for your time answering me.
- The country-publication filter stands for patent application at that agency. Is that correct? Using PATSTAT, How can I use all agencies, and at the same time, the patent is only counted once?

Many thanks in advance!

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:56 am

Yes, the country code in the Countries filter indicates the country / patent authority where the patent application was filed or granted.

I have forwarded your second question to our PATSTAT expert.

Kind regards,

Andrée

Andrée Lahaye

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:59 pm

On your second question (PATSTAT):
The country-publication filter stands for patent application at that agency. Is that correct? Using PATSTAT, How can I use all agencies, and at the same time, the patent is only counted once?

The country of publication always matches an originating application. And one patent application can have more then 1 publication. The SQL query below gives you some examples for Mexican patent application where you can see a so called A and B (grant) publication.

Code: Select all

SELECT TOP (1000) [pat_publn_id]
      ,[publn_auth]
      ,[publn_nr]
      ,[publn_nr_original]
      ,[publn_kind]
      ,[appln_id]
      ,[publn_date]
      ,[publn_lg]
      ,[publn_first_grant]
      ,[publn_claims]
  FROM [patstat2021b].[dbo].[tls211_pat_publn]
  where appln_id in (419211217,442182637,446689153,415154083)
  order by appln_id
So if you want to be sure that you do not double count those "inventions" , you should count(distinct(appln_id)). Each appln_id will then only counted once, even if there are multiple publications linked to that application.

However, that only avoids the double counting at the Mexican level. If you want to avoid double counting across different patent authorities then you have to count patent families.
You can find plenty of information on how to do this on the PATSTAT forum.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org