Espacenet VS Patstat

Here you can ask questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas and share your opinions and information regarding the new Espacenet.

The moderators will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information. For the exchange of information regarding the classic Espacenet please proceed to the dedicated forum for classic Espacenet.

timc03

Espacenet VS Patstat

Post by timc03 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:16 am

Hi, I am trying to work out the difference between Espacenet and Patstat. Can someone please point me to an outline of the different data and use cases, or explain to me the differences?

Patent Information Marketing

Re: Espacenet VS Patstat

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Dear user,

Espacenet is essentially a patent search tool, while PATSTAT Online is a patent analytical tool.
A search tool is meant to find patent documents which you can read individually in order to have, e.g., an overview on a technical topic. A patent analytical tool is meant to analyse thousands or millions of documents and provide statistical analyses, e.g., identify technological trends, which countries lead in which fields, which applicants lead in which fields, ...

Use of PATSTAT Online needs an expertise in the SQL language, while the search language in Espacenet is much more intuitive.

I encourage you to have a look at our recorded online seminars on Espacenet (intro and advanced) and PATSTAT Online, as they might give you further insight on what the tools can do and are meant for (see link(s) in the blue box on the right).
Kind regards

Patent Information Marketing