Espacenet VS Patstat

Here you can ask questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas and share your opinions and information regarding the new Espacenet.

The moderators will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information. For the exchange of information regarding the classic Espacenet please proceed to the dedicated forum for classic Espacenet.

timc03

Espacenet VS Patstat

Post by timc03 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:16 am

Hi, I am trying to work out the difference between Espacenet and Patstat. Can someone please point me to an outline of the different data and use cases, or explain to me the differences?

Patent Information Marketing

Re: Espacenet VS Patstat

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Dear user,

Espacenet is essentially a patent search tool, while PATSTAT Online is a patent analytical tool.
A search tool is meant to find patent documents which you can read individually in order to have, e.g., an overview on a technical topic. A patent analytical tool is meant to analyse thousands or millions of documents and provide statistical analyses, e.g., identify technological trends, which countries lead in which fields, which applicants lead in which fields, ...

Use of PATSTAT Online needs an expertise in the SQL language, while the search language in Espacenet is much more intuitive.

I encourage you to have a look at our recorded online seminars on Espacenet (intro and advanced) and PATSTAT Online, as they might give you further insight on what the tools can do and are meant for (see link(s) in the blue box on the right).
Kind regards

Lisacardwell

Post by Lisacardwell » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:01 am

Hello,
Sure, I'd be happy to help explain the differences between Espacenet and Patstat.

Espacenet is a database operated by the European Patent Office (EPO) that provides access to over 120 million patent documents from more than 100 countries. It covers a wide range of technological fields and provides a wealth of information on the state of the art, such as full-text documents, legal status information, and bibliographic data. Espacenet is a valuable resource for those researching or monitoring technological developments, as well as for anyone interested in obtaining information on patent families, the legal status of a particular patent, or the classification of a particular technology.

Patstat, on the other hand, is a database that was developed and is maintained by the European Patent Office (EPO). It provides comprehensive data on patents and trademarks, including bibliographic data, legal status information, and data on citations and family members. Patstat goes beyond Espacenet in terms of the depth and breadth of data it provides, as it covers not just European patents but also patents from around the world. Additionally, Patstat provides a large amount of data on the commercialization of patents, such as data on licensing and assignment agreements, which makes it an important tool for those involved in technology transfer and commercialization.

In summary, both Espacenet and Patstat provide valuable data and resources for those working in the field of patents and technology. However, Patstat offers a more comprehensive and in-depth view of the patent landscape, while Espacenet is a more focused tool for obtaining information on a particular patent or technology.

Thanks Regards,
Lisacardwell

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:56 am

Dear user,

Thank you very much for these additional and useful explanations.

I would just like to give some clarifications regarding some of the points mentioned on these two EPO products.

Patstat (i.e. Patstat Global, Patstat Register, Patstat Online) provides comprehensive data on patents but NOT trademarks. Patstat Global and Espacenet are both based on the same databases, therefore they have the SAME DEPTH OF WORLDWIDE DATA COVERAGE (with the exception that Espacenet does not display notifications without publications), including legal data on licenses and transfer of ownership, when these information are provided to the EPO. It is also interesting to know that Espacenet is updated daily while Patstat is updated twice a year. It is just that Pastat is meant to analyse thousands or millions of documents and generate landscapes or depict trends, while Espacenet is essentially a search tool to obtain, for example, an overview on specific technical domains, make preliminary prior art searches, retrieve technical and/or legal information on specific patent documents, gain insight on patent contents from competitors, etc.

If you are interested to know more about these two products, you may also have a look at the information provided on the following EPO web pages: Patstat, Espacenet.

Kind regards,

Andrée

Andrée Lahaye