fetching biblio in batch for ~70 - 100 patents at once doesn't return proper headers

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

jalipert

fetching biblio in batch for ~70 - 100 patents at once doesn't return proper headers

Post by jalipert » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:33 am

Hello,

The biblio API allows input for up to 100 patents in batch during a POST request. However, I've noticed that if I run a query of ~70 - 100 patents at once (easily reproducible for me when passing in 100 patents), the headers are missing info such as the Quota usage. In this case, the response headers for me look like this:

Code: Select all

Array
(
    [http_code] => HTTP/1.1 100 Continue
)
In comparison, when querying for batches of 60 or less (sometimes works for slightly more), the headers look like this:

Code: Select all

Array
(
    [http_code] => HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    [Access-Control-Allow-Headers] => Authorization
    [Access-Control-Allow-Methods] => POST
    [Access-Control-Allow-Origin] => *
    [Content-Type] => application/xml;charset=utf-8
    [Date] => Sun, 03 Jun 2018 00:22:48 GMT
    [Server] => Apache
    [Vary] => Accept
    [X-API] => ops-v3.2
    [X-Elapsed-Time] => 19
    [X-EPO-Client-IP] => redacted.ip.address
    [X-EPO-Forwarded] => [redacted.ip.address]
    [X-IndividualQuotaPerHour-Used] => 438251486
    [X-RegisteredQuotaPerWeek-Used] => 875416248
    [X-Throttling-Control] => idle (images=green:200, inpadoc=green:60, other=green:1000, retrieval=green:200, search=green:30)
    [Content-Length] => 22383
    [Connection] => keep-alive
)
Any ideas? Is this due to some client setting I am using, or is it possibly an issue on the server?

Thanks!
Joe

EPO / OPS Support

Re: fetching biblio in batch for ~70 - 100 patents at once doesn't return proper headers

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:22 am

Hi,

Does it happen if you make the same query using GET (OPS Published service with Biblio using GET works for up to 100 numbers too)? Is it only one specific batch or any batch with over 70 numbers?

I would like to test your query so can I ask you to send it to me via email (patentdata(at)epo.org)?

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support

jalipert

Re: fetching biblio in batch for ~70 - 100 patents at once doesn't return proper headers

Post by jalipert » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:45 pm

I wasn't able to reproduce in postman, and after further investigation it looks like an issue with PHP clients when the POST size is above 1024 bytes (which I suppose happens once the number of patents in a request gets above 70 or so).

I was able to fix my issue and get the expected response headers when adding the additional request header "Expect:" as described in this GitHub discussion:

https://gist.github.com/perusio/1724301