Filter families and publications

tomasvanrijn

Filter families and publications

Post by tomasvanrijn » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:26 pm

Hi there,

Using the filter options on families and/or publications, I see something I cannot explain. Hopefully you can :) The case (random example):

1 Search = IPC or CPC: A61P25/16/Low
A Results - Family 18.618
B Publications 188.936
All good

2 Filter on search 1 - Publication - Countries = EP
A Results - Family 11.018
B Publications 14.885

3 Filter - Family - Countries EP
A Results - Family 12.113
B Publications 175.530

I would expect the number of results (families) on the two filters (2A en 3A) to be identical. To my understanding, using the publication filter (2) gives me a list of EP-publications only - but still on a family level. It makes sense that 2B is higher than 2A, mainly because of EP-application/EP-grant-publications within families.

Also, I expect 3A to give me results on a family level as well. 3B is (much) higher, as this contains all publications within these families - not just EP's.

How come 2A and 3A differ?

Thanks in advance!
Tomas

Patent Information Marketing

Re: Filter families and publications

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:18 am

Dear Tomas,

Thank you for your question. For your convenience, I will first write below the definitions of filtering on publication and family level when using the Apply function.

On publication level, the result list will contain families where at least one member ("publication") of a family meets all the search and filter criteria (same effect as a search).

On family level, the result list will contain families where the family as a whole – but not necessarily each individual family member – has met all the search and filter criteria.

Therefore, filtering your query on publication level retrieves only families where at least one EP publication has the classification symbol A61P25/16.

On family level, there are more results (families), because in some of these families, you will find EP publications without the symbol A61P25/16 and one or more family members with another country code that have the symbol (e.g. JP2022000027A’s family).

Kind regards,

Andrée

Andrée Lahaye

tomasvanrijn

Post by tomasvanrijn » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:22 pm

Dear Andrée,

Thanks for the swift reply. Makes perfectly sense!

Tomas

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:15 pm

You are welcome!

Kind regards,

Andrée