Filtering results in EP Bulletin search

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share information regarding the following services:
European Publication Server (EPO's official publication platform), EP Bulletin search and EP full-text search (Searching procedural data and the full text of EP A and B documents via the "Patent information services for experts" user interface).

magister

Filtering results in EP Bulletin search

Post by magister » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:24 pm

I would like to be able to add additional search criteria which do not appear to be available to me. Is there any way in which I can combine an existing answer set with some other term, to limit the answers to only those records which have the other term *present*, irrespective of its value. E.g. an operation equivalent to $1 AND PUB1=YES which would limit my set 1 answers to only those cases which had been granted.
The PUB1 field appears to be only searchable by a specific value, not by presence/absence in the record.
Thanks

EPO / EPAL Team

Re: Filtering results in EP Bulletin search

Post by EPO / EPAL Team » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:56 pm

Please try $1 and PUB1 = * ("*" means all documents having a PUB1 date whatever its value)

Best regards

User support

magister

Post by magister » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:11 pm

Duh! It's obvious once you say it. Thank you for your reply.

Manuelschrader

Post by Manuelschrader » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:19 am

magister wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:24 pm
I would like to be able to add additional search criteria which do not appear to be available to me. Is there any way in which I can combine an existing answer set with some other term, to limit the answers to only those records which have the other term *present*, irrespective of its value. E.g. an operation equivalent to $1 AND PUB1=YES which would limit my set 1 answers to only those cases which had been granted.
The PUB1 field appears to be only searchable by a specific value, not by presence/absence in the record.
Thanks
If the field you want to search (in this case, PUB1) is not searchable by presence/absence in the record, one workaround could be to use a wildcard character to search for any value in that field, and then combine it with your additional search criteria.

For example, if you want to limit your set 1 answers to only those cases which have a field called "ADDITIONAL_TERM" present, you could try the following search query:

Set 1 results AND ADDITIONAL_TERM=*

This would retrieve only those records from your set 1 results that have a non-empty value in the "ADDITIONAL_TERM" field, regardless of the value itself. You could then further refine your search by adding additional search criteria as needed, such as:

Set 1 results AND ADDITIONAL_TERM=* AND PUB1=YES

This would limit your results to only those cases that have both the "ADDITIONAL_TERM" field present and the value of "PUB1" equal to "YES".