Firstpage missing

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

jpatent

Firstpage missing

Post by jpatent » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:50 pm

Dear OPS Team,

why is sometimes the firstpage link (ex. "/rest-services/published-data/images/EP/1000000/PA/firstpage") of a publication not available ?

Lets say I want the firstpage of KR102213428:
I got to the following link to see if there are any drawings to get:
http://ops.epo.org/3.2/rest-services/pu ... 428/images

The result shows me that there are drawings on page 11 which I can reach through "published-data/images/KR/102213428/B1/fullimage".
But why is there no firstpage-link to directly access one drawing ?

Best regards,
jpatent

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Firstpage missing

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:16 am

Hi,

First page image is a special product when we extract and then assign 1 representative drawing as a "first page image" in a simple patent family if the family has WO, AT, FR, DE, GB , EP , CA or US family member. KR document is therefore never a publication with a First page image but if it has one of the mentioned members you can make use of that image for all members in that family.

Unfortunately, your KR example has no other family member, yet.

If it would have one you could do following search in order to see if any family member has a first page image produced and then you can use that same image for entire simple family like in my example below:
Example from the picture is: ops.epo.org/3.2/rest-services/published-data/publication/docdb/US.2020100250.A1/equivalents/images
example1.PNG
I hope this helps,

Vesna for OPS support

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Firstpage missing

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Wed May 05, 2021 12:53 pm

HI,

As of March 2021 on, the EPO is now producing an image (representative drawing) from the first page of a patent document (when available) as a "Clipped image" aka "First page clipping" for every document added into our database after March 2021.

The old rule in place for production of such images in the past, that stated 1 image per simple family no longer applies.

Here is an example of one such newly produced image:

.../rest-services/published-data/publication/docdb/FI20197146/images
Capture_clipped.PNG
At the moment, the plan is only to produce such images for data added going back to October 2020. We don't expect to get them produced for entire backfile. We also will not have this data available in a bulk. It is only available in OPS Published Services with Image Constituante and in tools like Espacenet and Global Patent Index (GPI)

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support