forward citation (Families)

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

Pasdeprenom

forward citation (Families)

Post by Pasdeprenom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Dear Geert,

I am interested in counting forward citations of families (Number of families citing a family).
I have found different references about it and specially about the date that I have to choose to make the time window. (publn_date, earliest_filing_year,grant_date, etc).
If I use the priority year for both families, I find a negative lag in several cases.

Thank you in advance,

Manuel Jimenez

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: forward citation (Families)

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 am

Hello Manual,
can you give some examples or share your code ?
And why it would be a problem.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

Pasdeprenom

Post by Pasdeprenom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:27 am

Yes, I am sorry. My problem is that I don’t know what date is more recommended for citation windows. I have found a paper (De Rassenfosse, G., Dernis, H., & Boedt, G. (2014). An introduction to the Patstat database with example queries. Australian Economic Review, 47(3), 395-408.) where the publn_date is used to make it.
Is this the best way? For forward citation by family, Should I do a “group by” after?

Thank you so much

kind regards.

Manuel

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Hello Manual,
the purpose of the limitation on a time frame for forward citations is to avoid bias. In simple words: patents that were published in 2010 will have had more opportunity to become cited then a patent application that was published in 2017. Therefore researchers look at the date of publication of the cited document to start the time frame.
That publication date is "the date that the information becomes prior art". (In whatever language that first publication occurred.) Because a publication date is still "application" bound (and not family based), one could use the date of the earliest publication of a simple family.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

Pasdeprenom

Post by Pasdeprenom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Thank you so much.