German industrial robots

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

Gunther

German industrial robots

Post by Gunther » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:47 am

Hi guys I need a little help. I'm trying to extract the patents that have industrial patents in the title, but I only can do this for all countries. I would like to pick it up just from Germany. What can I do?
SELECT *
FROM tls201_appln as app
inner JOIN tls202_appln_title as TIT
ON (app.appln_id = tit.appln_id)
WHERE tit.appln_title LIKE '%industrial robots%'
AND app.appln_filing_year BETWEEN 1996 AND 2017

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: German industrial robots

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:25 pm

Hello Gunther,
I assume you mean having "industrial robots" in the title for patents filed in Germany.
You can simply add a condition that the the appln_auth = 'DE' and you will have only patents filed in Germany. Keep in mind that most patents filed in Germany will not have an English title. So you probably would want to use the German word "Industrierobot"

Code: Select all

SELECT  tls201_appln.appln_id, appln_auth, appln_nr, appln_filing_date
      ,appln_title
  FROM [tls202_appln_title] join tls201_appln on tls202_appln_title.appln_id = tls201_appln.appln_id
  where 
  (appln_title   LIKE '%industrial robot%' 
  or appln_title   LIKE '%Industrierobot%')
  and tls201_appln.appln_auth = 'DE'
But if the purpose is to retrieve all patents filed in Germany that are "related to" industrial robots (even the ones that don't have it explicitly spelled out in the title), then you should use the IPC or CPC patent classifications codes.

Your query would then be something like:

Code: Select all

SELECT  tls201_appln.appln_id, appln_auth, appln_nr, appln_filing_date,appln_title
FROM tls202_appln_title join tls201_appln on tls202_appln_title.appln_id = tls201_appln.appln_id
WHERE (tls201_appln.appln_id in (select appln_id from tls209_appln_ipc where ipc_class_symbol  like 'B25J%')
or tls201_appln.appln_id in (select appln_id from tls224_appln_cpc where cpc_class_symbol  like 'B25J%'))
and tls201_appln.appln_auth = 'DE'
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/ ... /CPC=B25J
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org