Getting equivalents with kind codes

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

serejkus

Getting equivalents with kind codes

Post by serejkus » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:05 pm

How can I get patent's equivalents using OPS with kind codes? The published-data service with equivalents endpoint gives docs in epodoc format without kind codes. Espacenet gives equivalents with kind codes. How can I achive the same using OPS?

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Getting equivalents with kind codes

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi,

Yes, that odd. I will report that to our tecnical team, but in the meantime, it works like that:
http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/pu ... nts/biblio

You can also add biblio and/or abstract, but biblio is surley better choice since not every publication would have abstrac in OPS.

Regards,

OPS support

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Getting equivalents with kind codes

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi,

I've spoke to my colleagues and the constitution of number format is actually correct. Published services give data from Epoque database and publications in Epoque database use Epodoc number format.

But if you remember epodoc rules that I've already mention in one of your other threads, if you have A (A1, A2...) documents, you will not find a kind code at the end of your number.

Look at following example and compare it to the rules for forming request in epodoc:

http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/pu ... nts/biblio
OPS FAQ's:
Sometimes, when using a reference in EPODOC format, I can find a publication in Espacenet, but not in OPS. Why is that?

The difference in behaviour is due to the way the two systems handle the number formats. Espacenet is much more flexible in handling numbers in different formats, while OPS requires you to (a) specify the format you are using (DOCDB or EPODOC) and (b) use the format as specified. Typically, issues will appear when working with publications where the EPODOC format requires that kind codes (or parts thereof) be attached to the publication number.

For some publication authorities, the EPODOC format requires that (part of) the kind code be attached to the number as follows:

for Japanese publications (JP) an entire kind code (a letter and possibly a digit) must be attached to the number, except when the kind code is A;
for publications with a country code on the following list: AT, AU, BA, BG, CN, DK, FI, IS, KR, NL, NO, PL, SK, UY, TW, YU, a kind code letter must be attached to the number, except when the kind code is A;
for publications from all other authorities, a kind code letter must be attached to the number, except when the kind code is either A, B or C.
:
All OPS FAQ's can be found here: http://www.epo.org/searching/free/ops/faq.html

I would still suggest that you add "/biblio" at the end of your URL.

Regards,

OPS support