Help - Large number of users? Possible performance issues?

Kelly Hill

Help - Large number of users? Possible performance issues?

Post by Kelly Hill » Fri May 15, 2009 10:34 am

Hi Everyone,

We have been using online filing for many years, but are only just starting to roll it out to more users. We've been doing this slowly, with the latest new group starting to use it just after v4.0 was introduced.

We've noticed recently that things have slowed down considerably. Opening a new application with large, or many, attachments can take over 5 mins, whereas before it was getting quite speedy. We are worried that this may be because we have lots of users. We will be doubling our users over the next 2 months (going from 30 to 60) and I am concerned that the more users we have the slower online filing will become.

Has anyone else experienced problems with performance? And if you did, how have you overcome them?
Does anyone else have 60 users on a network? Do you have any issues from having so many users accessing the software?

If anyone can offer any advice, I will be very grateful. I really want to make sure that online filing is as impressive as it can be for the new users, so we can encourage even more use of it.

Many thanks
Kelly
Kelly Hill

Madu

Re: Help - Large number of users? Possible performance issues?

Post by Madu » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Dear Kelly,

While we wait for a fellow customer with similar user figures to talk to you, a few things may help
in the direction of optimising performance.

1. Not making the Online Filing software an archive.
Regular backup (with Server Manager) exporting the sent applications
and then emptying the database .

The database is the first thing to be started, and loading as well as saving applications,
require a call on the same database.

2. Having a dedicated OLF server PC is also practical, as opposed to having other resource
consuming DB programs on the same OLF server PC.

These are simple acts . There are much more advanced steps that could be taken which cannot
be discussed here to avoid execution by untrained personnel.

Martin Adu
Installations

Kelly Hill

Post by Kelly Hill » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Thanks Martin.

We are archiving regularly and have a dedicated server for eolf.

We've contacted Thornsten and he is going to try to call us when he is back in the office next week, was just hoping maybe someone else in the community could point us in the right direction if they had experienced similar issues.

Fingers crossed it will just be something simple we have overlooked.

Kind regards

Kelly
Kelly Hill

Omega

Post by Omega » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 am

Hi !

We also experienced this behaviour. And so far the things Martin and you described are the best we found.

Omega

Kelly Hill

Post by Kelly Hill » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 am

Hi All

Thornsten suggested adding more memory to our online filing server, which we have done and have seen fantastic results!

I would recommend to anyone who has a large number of users to bump up the memory, it really does improve things.

Thanks to all at the EPO for their help on this.

Kind regards

Kelly
Kelly Hill

Omega

Post by Omega » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi !

When looking at our server the memory usage is really low which would mean that you only help providing a big filesystem-cache. I wonder how large your database is.
How much Memory have you given your server ?

On our site we experience performance problems when epoline uses full cpu for several minutes.

Kelly Hill

Post by Kelly Hill » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Omega

My IT man tells me we have given it 4gb RAM.

Hope this helps

Kelly
Kelly Hill