Help with data sample

Tips and tricks on how to get the most out of Espacenet

387082rj@eur.nl

Help with data sample

Post by 387082rj@eur.nl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 am

Currently I am writing a graduate research within the field of patent valuation. The main focus of this research relies on the relationship between patent publication and reaction of the stock market. Where we try to find out whether or not the stock market appreciate the growing number of patents issued. This paper tries to identify differences amongst industries in patent data by comparing industries that are similar to each other and see if patents are appreciated in a different way.

In order to construct the data, I need to find the publication dates of the following companies: Airbus Operation SAS, Bae Systems PLC, Rolls Royce PLC, Thales SA, Snecma, Volkswagen AG, Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, Daimler AG, Peugeot Citroen Automobiles SA, Renault SA. For each company I need to know how many patent publications each firm has on each day in the period 2009-2014.

When I use Espacenet advanced patent search I cannot enter the right query for it, or I only get access to a limited amount of patents. Besides that I can only download up to 25 patents into an excel file. I actually do not need the patent description nor patent classification or priority number. Only the publication dates of the firm.

I would be more than thankful to you if you can help me with creating this database. When the final research paper is completed I will be more than happy to sent you the copies of my findings.

Thank you so much in advance.

Kind regards,
Ramoe

EPO / Innovation Networks

Re: Help with data sample

Post by EPO / Innovation Networks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi Ramoe,

First of all our sincerest apologies for not answering earlier.

Actually we recommend for this kind of research the use of PATSTAT.
Please have a look at PATSTAT online. There you can also sign up for a two-month free trial in order to perform statistical analysis within the EPO Worldwide Patent Statistical Database, retrieve data using SQL as well as customise, display, visualise and download results.

All the best for your research!
Kind regards,

The Innovation Networks Team