Help with query on Brazil

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

fabian_scheifele

Help with query on Brazil

Post by fabian_scheifele » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:24 am

Hello everyone,

I am trying to retrieve the total number of patents that were filed with the Brazilian Patent Authority(appln_auth = 'BR') for IPC classifications E21B% and F03D%, sorted by the nationality of applicant (person_ctry_code) and the year of filing (appln_filing_year)
I created the following query and i got result=0, even though I know from the Brazilian institute INPI that there are filings by brazilian national (Furthermore I checked with ctry_code= US and DE and also got zero). I think i am doing something wrong on the joint command, but not sure. Help would be highly appreciated!

SELECT DISTINCT a.*, person_ctry_code appln_filing_year
FROM tls201_appln a
JOIN tls207_pers_appln pa on a.appln_id = pa.appln_id
JOIN tls206_person p on pa.person_id = p.person_id
JOIN tls209_appln_ipc b on b.appln_id = pa.appln_id
WHERE appln_auth = 'BR'
AND appln_kind = 'A' -- exclude PCT filings where the EPO only served as the Receiving Office
AND a.appln_id < 900000000 -- exclude artificial applications (see PATSTAT Data Catalog for details)
AND applt_seq_nr > 0 -- consider only applicants
AND ipc_class_symbol='E21B%'
AND person_ctry_code = 'BR'

Geert Boedt

Re: Help with query on Brazil

Post by Geert Boedt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Hello Fabian,
just a small syntax error: the % wildcard should be used with the LIKE operator. Or you could use LEFT function.

Code: Select all

SELECT DISTINCT a.*, person_ctry_code appln_filing_year
FROM tls201_appln a
JOIN tls207_pers_appln pa on a.appln_id = pa.appln_id
JOIN tls206_person p on pa.person_id = p.person_id
JOIN tls209_appln_ipc b on b.appln_id = pa.appln_id
WHERE appln_auth = 'BR'
AND appln_kind = 'A' -- exclude PCT filings where the EPO only served as the Receiving Office
AND a.appln_id < 900000000 -- exclude artificial applications (see PATSTAT Data Catalog for details)
AND applt_seq_nr > 0 -- consider only applicants
AND ipc_class_symbol like'E21B%' -- or you could use left(ipc_class_symbol,4)='E21B'
AND person_ctry_code = 'BR'
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
Business Use of Patent Information
EPO Vienna