How does it work the CQL query cl (CPC or IPC-18)?

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Alberto231

How does it work the CQL query cl (CPC or IPC-18)?

Post by Alberto231 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:01 am

Hello,

I ask you how does it work the CQL query cl, whose parameter is a CPC or IPC1-8 class (table 29 of the OPS manual).

In fact, this kind of query could have different implementation kinds, in the case that the parameter is a CPC and a ICP1-8 class as well, which is rather usual,

Thank you and best regards

EPO / OPS Support

Re: How does it work the CQL query cl (CPC or IPC-18)?

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 am

Hi,

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly:

We offer many variations for classification searches, for only IPC, only CPC or for both together if you use CL for cases when CPC and IPC have the same combination of characters (like cl=C10J3).

Use depends on the needs of specific searches.

Regardas

Vesna for OPS

Alberto231

Post by Alberto231 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi,

thank you for your feedback. I understand from your answer that accepted arguments for the cl query are symbols belonging to CPC as well as to IPC, as in your example.

Hence my question becomes now: what happens if the cl argument belongs to CPC only? Is it rejected? Or it activates a CPC only search?

Thank you and best regards

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi,

CL would be used if you have classification symbols and you don't exactly know if they are IPC or CPC-kind. You could simply put them into CL search and the result would be all classes, no matter if they are CPC or IPC. You get publications with one or the other. So, no, you would not get an error if application only holds IPC but no such CPC. CL would in fact correspond more to IPC OR CPC (not logical AND, more OR).

I hope this make is clearer

Regards,
Vesna for OPS