how i convert docdb/epodoc application number to original USPTO version?

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Leap2

how i convert docdb/epodoc application number to original USPTO version?

Post by Leap2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:27 am

hi,

currently, we are getting application number from published-data/biblio endpoint & we are using number-service endpoint to convert those docdb/epodoc versions of application number to original USPTO version but it's failing to convert for many cases, below i have given two such cases

here my questions are how i convert those? or is there any proper detailed documentation available for number service related to conversion logic from docdb/epodoc numbers to original corresponding PTO numbers?

case 1
for the epodoc publication US2009274317, we are getting two different application numbers & the actual application number in USPTO is US12113110, how i get that?

Code: Select all

GET /3.2/rest-services/published-data/publication/epodoc/US2009274317/biblio

GET /3.2/rest-services/number-service/application/docdb/US.11311008.A/original

case 2
for the epodoc publication WO2009134940, how I get USPTO 8 digit format application number?

GET /3.2/rest-services/published-data/publication/docdb/.WO2009134940../biblio

GET /3.2/rest-services/number-service/application/docdb/US.2009042183.W/original
    giving item not available error

EPO / OPS Support

Re: how i convert docdb/epodoc application number to original USPTO version?

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:07 am

Hi,

Numbering service is not very stable especially for US or PCT original formats so I would not recommend the use in that case. We offer DOCDB rules as a table (2 tables: Publication and Application/Priority) here: https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... gular.html
As far as original US formats, you might be able to find some solution at the USPTO

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support

gerben

Post by gerben » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:37 pm

Dear Leap2,

What you could try is to use USPTO's PED service https://ped.uspto.gov/peds.
PED is a service created for downloading larger volumes of US PAIR (register) data, but can be used for downloading single document information as well.
According to the manual it accepts PCT application and publication numbers as search input. So it should be possible to find the US national entry data for a PCT application.
The problem with US application numbers in epodoc or docdb format is that the EPO deletes a crucial part (the series number) of the information and as Vesna mentioned, the conversion tool to original format cannot fix this. However, a US application that is mentioned as application in the OPS is a published application (or even granted), so you can extract the publication or grant number of the US document and use this as search key in USPTO's PED to extract the correct US application number.

I have not yet found time to test this, but in principle this should be possible.

Good luck,
Gerben

Leap2

Post by Leap2 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:53 am

Thanks, Gerben & Vesna

but in case 1 scenario, we are getting 2 application no for 1 publication, there we need original mapping to 12113110 required na?

gerben

Post by gerben » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Dear Leap2,

you do not need the original mapping as running in OPS because you have the publication number, which is correct (11 digits). You can search USPTO's PED service using this publication number (digits only, remove 'US') and extract the correct application number out of the response.