How to convert the publication number in docdb format to original format

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Leap2

How to convert the publication number in docdb format to original format

Post by Leap2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:04 am

I have queried the application number "US.201815872505.A" in docdb format to obtain the citations through the below mentioned endpoint :
http://ops.epo.org/3.2/rest-services/pu ... cdb/biblio

And the response contains the below citation data which is a list of publication numbers:

<references-cited>
<citation cited-phase="undefined" cited-by="applicant" sequence="1">
<patcit dnum-type="publication number" num="1">
<document-id document-id-type="epodoc">
<doc-number>US2003220294</doc-number>
<date>20031127</date>
</document-id>
<document-id document-id-type="docdb">
<country>US</country>
<doc-number>2003220294</doc-number>
<kind>A1</kind>
<date>20031127</date>
</document-id>
</patcit>
</citation>

When i am searching this number in USPTO Patft, i am not able to get the result. Could you please let me know how to get the original format publication number from the docdb format number obtained above "US2003220294"

EPO / OPS Support

Re: How to convert the publication number in docdb format to original format

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:31 am

Hi,

As I mentioned in my previous thread, we offer original application number of your US document in a biblio feed. You can then search US databases with that application number.

Why you get no search in that specific database is a question for the USPTO.

But as far as I see, USPTO's PAIR works perfectly fine with that application number and PAIR also gives you publication number of that application :
PAIR.JPG
Regards
Vesna for OPS

Leap2

Post by Leap2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:09 am

We are expecting the original format of the publication number. We are getting in docdb format as "US2003220294" which is missing a "0" compared to the original number in the screenshot(US20030220294).

With the original format of publication number we are able to get the details from uspto patft.

Is there a number service that can be used to convert the docdb publication numbers to original format of publication number.

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi,

There is but does not perform well with US numbers and you need publication date in every request. This is why I am not showing you how OPS numbering works for your specific case. If you still want to try it out, please see OPS documentation, but be aware that this service has its limitations and its nit very reliable at this stage. But you can avoid all that if you just take org application number as suggested.

I showed you a workaround that is used by many users and is more reliable then number service, especially for US data and even more for original format conversion. In your case it is only a leading 0 difference but there are other cases where the difference is much bigger and this is where you always can rely on org application number instead.

Regards,
Vesna for OPS