How to download XML raw data

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

jpatent

How to download XML raw data

Post by jpatent » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:46 am

I want to download XML raw data to add it to my database. How am i doing this? :?:

EPO / OPS Support

Re: How to download XML raw data

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:29 am

Hi,

If you want to use raw data in xml, you need to subscribe to the specific raw data product first, pay for a yearly subscription and a back file data and then you get an access to our raw data download area.

Information, prices and sample data of raw data products are available here: https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... -data.html

In case you are still not sure what information is available in each of the products, see the table with more information about available features: http://documents.epo.org/projects/babyl ... awData.pdf

Regards,

OPS support

jpatent

Post by jpatent » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks for the quick help. :)

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:57 am

Yes, but just to clarify, OPS is a web service that allows to link data to your database or download small chunks od data into your database.

Bulk downloading is not allowed via OPS, for that raw data products are offered as an alternative.

Here is a link to our Fair use charter: https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... r-use.html

Regards,

OPS support

jpatent

Post by jpatent » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:04 am

But i would like to have a raw data product like DOCDB but with drawings. How can i do that?

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:17 am

Drawings you could take from OPS, using OPS Published services with Image constituent. But Docdb in XML data is only available as a raw data product that you have to subscribe to and pay for.

Usually clients that build their own databases or search tools would always buy entire Docdb collection (14.7 Docdb front file subscription + Docdb Back file (archive up to the beginning of the current year) and then they will link data "on the fly" from OPS. This is similar as our GPI database or Espacenet functions.

Bibliographic data of Docdb is to big to be handled by OPS and its not even loaded in OPS (we use Epodoc biblio in OPS) so it will get loaded from the raw data product and information such as families, or drawings, or legal status, full text and so on.... will only be linked on the fly from OPS. This means that the system will only query OPS once the user on your end will make a search query, data will always remain in our database. This makes your database much lighter and always up to date because you always get information linked as it is in our database on the day you preform search which is important because information like legal status, simple or extended family can get updated daily or weekly. Bibliographic information is too big and mostly static so it can be loaded ones and then corrected only when certain amendments or re-keys are done, which is not very common.

You can also get basic bibliographic data from other sources, like commercial providers worldwide and the you pair that data with OPS, how ever you prefer.

Regards,
OPS support

jpatent

Post by jpatent » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:28 pm

OK.
You helped me a lot.
Thank you.