how to generate search fields?

dschmauss

how to generate search fields?

Post by dschmauss » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

I hope I can explain my problem..
When you start the 'advanced search' several 'pink boxes' are offered. Each of which contain several fields which can be linked by one (i.e. the same) boolean operator (a). The 'pink boxes' also can be linked among each other by boolean operators, but these can differ from the above mentioned operator (a).

Once you performed the search having used only one of the 'pink boxes' the others vanish.
But it sometimes seems to be useful to restrict the result e.g. by excluding a term that turned out to be senseless, but spoils your result set.You then should exclude the term by operator 'NOT'. But if the boolean operator (a), which you used in the originally performed search, was 'AND' you can't use 'NOT' in Addition ==> this would only be possible if there still was another 'pink box'.

My request: How can you re-generate another 'pink box'? I couldn't find an easy way.

Thanks to anybody who tries to understand the request and for every answer!

Patent Information Marketing

Re: how to generate search fields?

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Dear user,

If I understood your request correctly, the basic layout would be to group all terms e.g. within an "AND" group and have this combined with a NOT field on the next higher level.
E.g. https://worldwide.espacenet.com/beta/se ... %3Ade%3Afr
Kind regards

voiceofreason

Post by voiceofreason » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:59 pm

You can click on +Field, you can click on ->Group - The AND at any level can be a NOT using the dropdown
Also use a filter to exclude things

dschmauss

Post by dschmauss » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks for your answer! I tried it out but didn't succeed. Maybe I misunderstood you.

What works is, to add the extra term in the command line at the very top. When I add e.g. "NOT ta all oil" the extra 'pin box' appears. It's a pitty that I can't insert a screen shot, I could explain my request much easier.

dschmauss

Post by dschmauss » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm

Patent Information Marketing wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Dear user,

If I understood your request correctly, the basic layout would be to group all terms e.g. within an "AND" group and have this combined with a NOT field on the next higher level.
E.g. https://worldwide.espacenet.com/beta/se ... %3Ade%3Afr
Yes, I think, that's what I've meant.

blease1

Post by blease1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 am

Putting the NOT operator at a higher level than the AND operator works, but if you have been building up a search with AND operators it is cumbersome to have to re-populate fields for the subsequent addition of a NOT filter.
It was easier in the classic version when one could use Boolean operators within fields (unless there is a trick I'm missing)

Re: How to generate search fields?

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:39 pm

Dear users,

This discussion touches several topics that are explored in the following:
i.e. How to add new operators and fields, how is the query is interpreted and which types of queries are allowed and how to apply operators within one box.

+ field:
Starting with a query like 1 OR 2 you can simply add other fields by clicking on +field, that should be connected with the same operator.

->group:
In case you want to add a term to one of the criteria with a different operator you should move the term to a group by clicking on ->group to create brackets around the terms e.g. 1 OR (2 NOT 3). In advanced search it is however a bit cumbersome to group criteria that you have already in your query.

- bracket existing terms and operator precedence:
Starting from the previous query, simply by removing the brackets in the smart search creates the following query: 1 OR 2 NOT 3 . Please note that the precedence convention of Espacenet is (and has always been) a "left to right precedence" and not a precedence according to the Boolean operator. Hence this statement delivers the same result as (1 OR 2) NOT 3.

- operators within a search box
In advanced search the operators OR, AND and NOT cannot be used within a search box, different from the smart search on top of the screen. However the system allows to select:
  • ANY corresponding to OR between the search terms
  • ALL corresponding to AND between the search terms
  • the Proximity operators and the
  • = operator putting the search string into hyphens to search exactly this string
- specifics of the NOT operator
The NOT operator cannot be used within a search box in advanced search. Furthermore, Espacenet allows to use the NOT operator only once per query (as always). Nonetheless, you are allowed to make quite complex statements in combination with the NOT operator like (1 OR 2 OR 3) NOT ((1 and 2) OR (1 AND 3) OR (2 and 3)), which will retrieve documents in case 1 or 2 or 3 are present, but only if no two of those are in the same document.

Hopefully this will answer the questions raised.
Kind regards