How to order results by publication date from OPS

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

ravikrsingh20

How to order results by publication date from OPS

Post by ravikrsingh20 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:26 pm

I noticed that most of the patents returned by OPS while using CQL (eg. ta = plastic) queries are ordered by date but there are some anomalies. Is there any way to specify that the patent search should return the results ordered (latest patents first) while using CQL queries. I could not find anything equivalent or similar to this requirement in the OPS_v3.1_documentation_version_1.2.14_en document.

Thank you in advance :)

EPO / OPS Support

Re: How to order results by publication date from OPS

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:17 am

Hi,

No, unfortunately we don't have any such function is either OPS or Espacenet. The rule is that last loaded document is displayed first. If you think that there are anomalies maybe you can tell me what exactly you think by that I can have a look and see if I can give you any explanation for your specific case.

Regards,
OPS support

ravikrsingh20

Post by ravikrsingh20 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:27 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.
Requirement : As per fair usage, for a patent query we are only allowed to get top 2000 patents. I want to be certain that these 2000 patents are the latest ones. So that I am aware I have all the patents till a particular year.

Consider patents 1001-1100 for CQL query "ta = "additive manufacturing" ( https://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/p ... =1001-1100 ) , there are some patents with publication date in 2015 which are returned before the patents with publication date 2016. I just want to be sure that though i got only 2000 patents, I got all latest patents till a certain time (say 2013 or 2014) in order to be sure that i did not miss some patents from 2016. Other alternative is to use publication date in the cql query to look for results but that would require too many requests to EPO which might block my account.

Best Regards
Ravi

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Yes, I said, you will get last loaded documents in the database and those are not necessary last published documents. If you want data chronologically as published then you will need to add a publication day, yes. As OPS is not meant for bulk downloading and is therefore limited to only displaying of 2000 results than the best option is anyway to restrict reaches as much as necessary to avoid the noise.

Regards,
OPS support